Join for free
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2018, 08:36 PM

Great Gadget

For some reason I only just found out about these brilliant little WIFI Extender/Repeater gadgets. I wish I had known about them 8 years ago !!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KOBWA-Exten.../dp/B01N32T5ZZ

This small portable USB powered gadget is essentially a WIFI receiver just like you have in your laptop, iPad or Smart Phone, only it's far more powerful and is able to work even with the tiniest of signals (what would display as 1 bar on our phones/devices).

All it requires is a USB power supply which can either be one of those 3 pin standard plug adapters with a USB socket in it, or a USB adapter that you use in your car cigarette lighter socket, or it can just be a USB port on your laptop.

Doesn't matter, any USB powered socket will do.

What this neat little device does is RECEIVE all the WiFi signals around it, esp the weak ones, and then TRANSMITS the same Wifi out again.

What that means is you get full 5 bar signal from it.

There are of course tons of Wifi Extender/Repeater devices out there but most have a domestic 3 pin plug attached to them. Many of you may be already using those to extend the Wifi signal from your home router into rooms where the router signal isn't strong enough.

The beauty of the above little gadget is that it is small (a few inches long) and so very portable. I can carry it in my netbook case very easily.

Where ever I find myself, if I want to use WiFi and the signal is too weak, I can just plug in this little WiFi extender and instantly get full bar Wifi signal.

It's useful for me personally because I'm often sat outside in the car waiting for my other half to come out of work and sometimes I can pick up free Wifi from the buildings around me and other times I can't because I'm just out of range.
With this little gadget I will always be in range and get a strong signal.

And it's only about £15 !

Very useful for me
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2018, 09:30 PM

Re: Great Gadget

There are others worthy of consideration. There's a Xiaomi Mi 2 for example that costs anywhere from £7 to £10 here:

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2018, 06:43 AM

The problem with them is that they half the transmission speed.

You could use one of your old wifi routers in bridge mode to the same job for nothing.

Even better - for no loss of speed:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8A...ew?usp=sharing
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2018, 09:46 AM

Interesting TBH I consider myself lucky we have an excellent hot spot system with BT I'm hardly ever more than half a mile from one so my signal is pretty good. Only place I get only one bar or less is at the caravan and I'm not keen on us having internet access there as we have a bit of a ban on screens and a timed allowance of TV. Makes the times down there far more simple and crafting far more likely to be done, jigsaw puzzles too.

But I can see they may be good for anyone without a good signal.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2018, 07:10 PM

For some reason I always thought it was illegal to boost your Wifi signal. Things must have changed.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

10-12-2018, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
The problem with them is that they half the transmission speed.

You could use one of your old wifi routers in bridge mode to the same job for nothing.

Even better - for no loss of speed:
You missed the point I fear. The idea of the USB device is it is portable. I'm not about to start lugging a router around with me everywhere I go !! The idea here is for something small that can be carried with a laptop/netbook/tablet and which doesn't need a 3-pin plug power supply.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2018, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
You missed the point I fear. The idea of the USB device is it is portable. I'm not about to start lugging a router around with me everywhere I go !! The idea here is for something small that can be carried with a laptop/netbook/tablet and which doesn't need a 3-pin plug power supply.
If it's portability is your criteria why not just move closer to the source, double the speed and save yourself $15?

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top