Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
BritGuyUSA
United States
BritGuyUSA is male 

13-04-2019, 12:46 AM

84 "Guests" online at 1am

Who are these anonymous people that listen into (read) other people's conversations without ever "giving" something back to the forum???
It's 1am on a Friday night (OK, it's Saturday morning!) & I think l feel sorry for them actually!

PS, no need to feel sorry for me, l'm killing time before l go out to the lrish bar for a beer (or two)
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2019, 02:47 AM

Re: 84 "Guests" online at 1am

All sorts of people might read these threads as they come up on search engines if you look for a particular topic. Some members like me often wake in the middle of the night and go online when they can't get to sleep.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2019, 07:10 AM

Look at the "Guest" list at any time of day or night and there are invariably more sneek peekers than members looking in.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2019, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by BritGuyUSA ->
Who are these anonymous people that listen into (read) other people's conversations without ever "giving" something back to the forum???
It's 1am on a Friday night (OK, it's Saturday morning!) & I think l feel sorry for them actually!

PS, no need to feel sorry for me, l'm killing time before l go out to the lrish bar for a beer (or two)
Well, BritGuyUSA, 48 posts in your first two days could be a record.

As for various visiting voyeurs, you have made several valid points.

I have been surprised, I think that is the right word, to find my posts repeated on search engines.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2019, 07:46 AM

Perhaps they are shy.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2019, 07:50 AM

Perhaps they are bots.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2019, 07:52 AM

Then, why don't the Bots form their own Forum?
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2019, 07:57 AM

I've often wondered about this myself. However, some could be non-members or members who haven't logged in. Anyone can read all but some of the private 'members only' threads on here. Members do have the choice though of restricting their Profiles from public viewing.

I am also informed there are 'bots' (robots) roaming the internet collecting various information. You may also see these named as 'Google adsense spider' which I assume are collecting information about advertising.

Anyone using the internet should do so taking it as read that nothing posted on the internet is private, it's also out there forever. That in my opinion is the safest way to approach using this modern technology.

Unless you know you are on a private, protected forum, never post anything you wouldn't stand out in the street shouting about!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2019, 08:08 AM

Some will be bots but probably mostly people.

84 guests isn't many when considering how many millions of people in the World are actively browsing the Internet at any given time. Many of those will be doing searches using keywords that might well bring this forum up in their results. Plus there are members who read the forum without logging in and only log in when they have something to say.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2019, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Some will be bots but probably mostly people.

84 guests isn't many when considering how many millions of people in the World are actively browsing the Internet at any given time. Many of those will be doing searches using keywords that might well bring this forum up in their results. Plus there are members who read the forum without logging in and only log in when they have something to say.

I agree and lots of people are still up at 1am.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top