Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2019, 09:03 AM

Re: wedding photos by so called professionals.

Direct linking to photos on other websites is often not wanted because every time the photo is viewed here, it uses the bandwidth of the other site. The owner of that site might be paying for the bandwidth used.

I think generally, providing no copyright issues are involved, the correct way would be to download photo to the computer, upload it to an image hosting site and then link to or show it. Provide a link to the owner's site where the photo was found out of courtesy.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2019, 09:09 AM

I never had any wedding photographs so I am not really the person to comment. I got married without a wedding.

That being the case, when out with my grandchildren last year waiting in a group with other families for their children to have a turn in an adventure play ground a woman started talking to me and said she remembed my husband well and was at my wedding and took some photographs
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2019, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Direct linking to photos on other websites is often not wanted because every time the photo is viewed here, it uses the bandwidth of the other site. The owner of that site might be paying for the bandwidth used.

I think generally, providing no copyright issues are involved, the correct way would be to download photo to the computer, upload it to an image hosting site and then link to or show it. Provide a link to the owner's site where the photo was found out of courtesy.
Hmmm ... never heard that one Mart. Are we talking one man band wedding photographer (or whatever he may be)? If he objected, he could unlink his photo (I believe), but wedding photographers and wannabes are always proud of their work and the first thing they do is to get a watermark and attach it to their work. The idea being that all publicity is good publicity. Bit needle in a haystack, I know, but for a professional to restrict visits to his site make little sense.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2019, 09:41 AM

Direct linking to an image on someone else's site is sometimes called hotlinking. There are articles about it, here's one:

https://codeburst.io/hotlinking-fef83c9a7518

Edit: I think you are quite right in the instance you have use d00d. There are times when it would be beneficial to spread a photo around by whatever means, even if it did mean a little expense.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2019, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Direct linking to an image on someone else's site is sometimes called hotlinking. There are articles about it, here's one:

https://codeburst.io/hotlinking-fef83c9a7518

Edit: I think you are quite right in the instance you have use d00d. There are times when it would be beneficial to spread the photo around by whatever means, even if it did mean a little expense.
Hmm, thanks, had a quick look ...

You see an image you like on the internet and proceed to copy and paste the URL to your own website.
and I guess it's the same for internet forums.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

23-04-2019, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Hmm, thanks, had a quick look ...

and I guess it's the same for internet forums.
Yes, I think that is so.
toners
Cheshire
toners is male  toners has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2019, 03:03 PM

No harm done in copying/linking someone else's photo to this site. But you may end up in trouble if you attempt to remove a watermark and/or attempt to use the photo for financial gain.

I don't know if there's a forum rule about images posted in this OFF Photos & Art section. If I posted something here that wasn't mine, I'd include a link to the webpage it came from.
Slightly at a tangent but relating to copyrights.
The local nature reserve, which I frequent with my camera (lurking in bushes with a long range lens !), has a monthly wildlife photo competition- nothing serious just a cup of coffee and a cake as a prize. I was about to send in some of my photos as I thought they would be of interest when I noticed the fine print 'terms and conditions'. Basically entering the competition gave the Trust running the reserve the right to use , print and distribute the entered photos as they wished.
Essentially claiming the copyright.
Needless to say I did not enter any photos.
There were quite a number of photos on display at the center- very few had any reference to the photographer.
So check where you post.

Perhaps this site should have some statement regarding the copyright of postings especially as images posted can be seen and presumably copied without logging on.
There are some fine photos posted and a site statement would offer some protection.

I was politely contacted by one person who wanted to use one of my photos in a book. May not always happen that way.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK

23-04-2019, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by toners ->
Slightly at a tangent but relating to copyrights.
The local nature reserve, which I frequent with my camera (lurking in bushes with a long range lens !), has a monthly wildlife photo competition- nothing serious just a cup of coffee and a cake as a prize. I was about to send in some of my photos as I thought they would be of interest when I noticed the fine print 'terms and conditions'. Basically entering the competition gave the Trust running the reserve the right to use , print and distribute the entered photos. Essentially claiming the copyright.
Needless to say I did not enter any photos.
There were quite a number of photos on display at the center- very few had any reference to the photographer.
So check where you post.
Perhaps thi site shoul have some statement regarding the copyright of postings.
Hi toners

I value my photos, as I enjoy taking them and sharing them but if I worried about them getting into the wrong hands, I think I'd add a watermark.

I've been uploading to Google for years and I think they, like other hosting sites, then own your photos!
https://www.quora.com/Does-Google-ow...-Google-photos
toners
Cheshire
toners is male  toners has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2019, 03:44 PM

Hi toners

I value my photos, as I enjoy taking them and sharing them but if I worried about them getting into the wrong hands, I think I'd add a watermark.

I've been uploading to Google for years and I think they, like other hosting sites, then own your photos!
https://www.quora.com/Does-Google-ow...-Google-photos
The reference you give quotes Google as stating that copyright remains with the original photographer. I think that it would be extremely bad PR if they didn't make that statement.
Still would be interesting to do a Google search on one of your photos 'images like this' and see what pops up.
toners
Cheshire

23-04-2019, 07:51 PM

I went down to the Crossroads.....

A over50sforum supervisor quoted to me the site terms of use---

TAKING PART OR CONTRIBUTING TO over50sforum.com

9. Where you are invited to submit any contribution to over50sforum.com (including any photographs, text, graphics, audio or video) you agree, by submitting your contribution, to grant over50sforum a perpetual, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sub-licenseable right and license to use, modify, reproduce, publish, translate, distribute, make available to the public, and exercise all copyright and publicity rights with respect to your contribution nationally and internationally and/or to incorporate your contribution in other works in any media now known or later developed for the full term of any rights that may exist in your contribution. We will however seek your permission if we would like to use your submitted images off-site in anyway. If you do not want to grant to over50sforum the rights set out above, please do not submit your contribution to over50sforum.com. By submitting your contribution to over50sforum.com, you:

9.1 warrant that your contribution is your own original work and that you have the right to make it available to over50sforum for all the purposes specified above;

9.2 warrant that your contribution does not infringe any law;

9.3 warrant that your contribution is not defamatory;

9.4 indemnify over50sforum against all legal fees, damages and other expenses that may be incurred by over50sforum as a result of your breach of the above warranty;

9.5 waive any moral rights in your contribution for the purposes of its inclusion on over50sforum.com.

The key phrase being ' seeking permission if we would like to use your submitted images'- seems a contradiction of the earlier paragraph where the site claims ownership of images posted.

I guess the strongest defence is watermarking images but I really don't like the terms and conditions- better to keep the best photos under wraps.

Hmm just a thought - If I start a thread and post photos to it- I am not being invited by 'the site to contribute' so I am exempt from the restrictions.- there is no active invitation by the site?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top