Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2020, 03:33 PM

Re: Brexit 50p coin unveiled

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
More controversy over the 50p coin.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51269012

'Sir Philip has taken umbrage because the Oxford comma is missing from the coin's wording: "Peace, prosperity and friendship with all nations."

Get over yourself Sir Phillip

Philip has a point. The present text is completely in accordance with european spelling. A comma proceeding "and" is faulty spelling in european languages. Only the british do use this superfluous comma.

But then again, it was explained before that after brexit you would follow EU rules. And this seems to be a striking example.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2020, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
More controversy over the 50p coin.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51269012

'Sir Philip has taken umbrage because the Oxford comma is missing from the coin's wording: "Peace, prosperity and friendship with all nations."

Get over yourself Sir Phillip

We were always taught at school, never to put a comma before the word 'And'?
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2020, 04:15 PM

Don't pay much attention to detail on coins, unlikely to notice if I get one. The shape of 50p was to make it easier to tell it apart from other coins.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2020, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Philip has a point. The present text is completely in accordance with european spelling. A comma proceeding "and" is faulty spelling in european languages. Only the british do use this superfluous comma.

But then again, it was explained before that after brexit you would follow EU rules. And this seems to be a striking example.
I agree with you. I was taught that a comma NEVER appears after 'and' but then I went to a different type of school to Pullman ie... not up one's self.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2020, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
We were always taught at school, never to put a comma before the word 'And'?
..... likewise Mups, because 'and' is a joining word.
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2020, 05:40 PM

Whilst I don't agree that the extra comma is necessary on the coin, the Oxford comma does have its uses in certain circumstances -

SENTENCE 1: CYNTHIA INVITED HER TWO BOSSES, LARRY AND BERT.

SENTENCE 2: CYNTHIA INVITED HER TWO BOSSES, LARRY, AND BERT.

With the omission of a comma, the meaning of the sentence changes completely. For the first sentence, Cynthia invited two people – her two bosses. This is because the absence of the Oxford comma makes it appear that the bosses are in fact, Larry and Bert. However, in the second sentence, Cynthia invited four people – her two bosses, Larry, and finally, we have Bert. The presence of the Oxford comma makes it appear that Larry and Bert are separate entities from the two bosses.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by Last Tango ->
Whilst I don't agree that the extra comma is necessary on the coin, the Oxford comma does have its uses in certain circumstances -

With the omission of a comma, the meaning of the sentence changes completely. For the first sentence, Cynthia invited two people – her two bosses. This is because the absence of the Oxford comma makes it appear that the bosses are in fact, Larry and Bert. However, in the second sentence, Cynthia invited four people – her two bosses, Larry, and finally, we have Bert. The presence of the Oxford comma makes it appear that Larry and Bert are separate entities from the two bosses.
For sentence 2 I would prefer:
Besides her two bosses, cynthia invited larry and bert.

Or does that sound too american?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Last Tango ->

Or you could say

CYNTHIA INVITED LARRY, BERT AND HER TWO BOSSES.

Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 11:39 AM

Personally, I don't give a toss about the 50p or commas in the right or wrong place. It doesn't mention Brexit and I can read it perfectly OK ...
Boot
England
Boot is female  Boot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 12:16 PM

The wording is clumsy but it’s still worth 50p - and who actually studies the back of every coin they get in change? - I think there’s about 60 different designs on 50p coins but I’ve only noticed a few of them.

I loved some of those Facebook comments from that article link, though; some of them are worthy of inclusion in that comedy show “Modern Life is Goodish”. I love Dave Gorman’s “Found Poems”, composed of ridiculous outraged rants, dredged from the bottom of the Internet.

I especially like the idea of people donating every Brexit 50p they receive to charity - great fundraising opportunity for charities!
As the coins are donated, banked, re-circulated, re-donated, re-banked, and re-circulated ... it’s the gift that keeps on giving!

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top