Join for free
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2013, 12:53 PM

Council Bins

We have a recycle bin, now we are having that changed to paper only and plastic only. OK ....fair enough ....
Now, they want us to seperate our food bits too, all scraps are to go into another bin, using special compost bags, which we must supply ... This is a pain to me, I dont want food about the flat, so its down to the bin each day ...
I may be wrong - it seems a bit extreme to me ......
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2013, 01:17 PM

Re: Council Bins

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
We have a recycle bin, now we are having that changed to paper only and plastic only. OK ....fair enough ....
Now, they want us to seperate our food bits too, all scraps are to go into another bin, using special compost bags, which we must supply ... This is a pain to me, I dont want food about the flat, so its down to the bin each day ...
I may be wrong - it seems a bit extreme to me ......

Pats darlin' - we too have 'recycling' here too. However the size of my flat doesn't allow me space to have more than one (swing bin) waste bin in my kitchen and a waste paper basket in my lounge. When one or other become full, they are emptied into my dustbin (outside the front door). The council spent £millions in building and operating a rubbish transfer station in the town. If they want our rubbish sorted, they can bloody well do it themselves!!!!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2013, 01:27 PM

Thats the problem for me Joe, a small kitchen and room only for one swing bin .......
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2013, 01:31 PM

Pats I get confused because the council keep changing what goes into what and when it will be collected .

I also feel when I have used 'treated' warm water washing out plastic containers I have probably canceled out the value of recycling the item anyway.

Any garden waste has to be taken five miles away to the depot unless you want to pay an extra £65 a year to have in collected from yet another bin which you must buy yourself.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

17-10-2013, 01:36 PM

This seems crazy to me .....
It doesn't start until 2 weeks time, I just feel anxious about it ... I'll get meself in a right muddle I will .....
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2013, 01:50 PM

How do they want you to separate the food waste?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

17-10-2013, 01:54 PM

They have given us a little metal mesh box to sit the compost bag into. Then we are supposed to open and shut that bag each time, till we take it down to the proper bin. No thankyou, wont do that. I wrap all food waste. So what am I to do, Hubs says newspaper should be OK, we dont have them, so magazine sheets I guess. I usually use cheap foil, but that wont do now.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2013, 01:56 PM

It's starting here soon. New waste food 'caddies' are being supplied and new recycling bins have been provided. The council will also now take away a wider range of cans, plastics etc.. - but still not bottles or garden waste.

Luckily there are plenty of recycling points and waste disposal facilities here. We usually drop in (not literally) on the way to the shops. The staff there are always very helpful at unloading and dumping the rubbish.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2013, 01:59 PM

I would imagine it would be okay to open and close the bag for a couple of days but after that, wouldn't it be teeming with bacteria?

When I first heard about this recycling going on in the UK, I thought it sounded a good idea but hearing the reality of it, I'm not so sure. Why don't they do what the Spaniards do (they are very big on recycling): each road has a big bin area with several very big roll-top containers where rubbish is separated into paper, aluminium, glass, food, etc and those bins are emptied regularly (actually, they empty them daily) but that does mean trips to the bin areas. Probably not a good suggestion but it does do away with having to store waste food in the home.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

17-10-2013, 02:05 PM

I wont have the food stored in this small kitchen, it just means going to the bin more often and chancing the magazine wrap. Its paper, should be OK ......

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top