Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2013, 12:26 AM

Storm!

Well folks, I don't know about other parts of the country, but today we had an absolute corker.

I don't think I've ever known one like it before. I'd literally just got in with my shopping at around 4.30 p.m. when the sky went dark then, baa-boom! The thunder started so I started to count to see how far away it was. I got to two then the lightning started.

The thundering continued in one massive roll for about 15 minutes, with lightning flashing every few seconds or so, and the rain came down like stair rods, then a cessation of around three minutes, when it started again. It was awesome, and it lasted approximately 45 minutes continuously with no let up.

I understand there has been some flooding towards Wigan but, fortunately, I live on higher ground.

Anyone else had this bad storm from today?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2013, 01:29 AM

Re: Storm!

About 1pmish the sky went black and then the rain came down like it may never stop, but by 2pmish we were just having intermittent drizzle, and by 4ish sun was out and it got very warm and sticky.

Nothing like you had though so sounds like it missed us or we just got the tail of it.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2013, 01:43 AM

Oooh, it was a cracker Julie. It had been reasonably warm earlier on when I got in the car to go to the shop, but it came on so suddenly.

We've had thunder and lightning before, but never like that. If you watch Emmerdale, it was like that storm that they had the other night.

I had all the lights on (well the ones which work anyway) and if it had been at midnight it would have been like summat out of a horror film!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2013, 01:52 AM

We have just had a fire storm.

I have just returned from Moree up on the black soil plains of north central NSW. Coming back the Picton Road was closed because of fires but when I awoke this morning the air smelt of smoke - hopefully from the RFS back burning containment lines before the predicted winds today.

Sadly one of the victims was the Zig Zag railway in the Blue Mountains

Hopefully they will be able to recover but they have lost a lot of stuff.

Fire has also crippled the Zig Zag Railway tourist attraction. The railway was, until Thursday, on the cusp of reopening train rides to the public after its most recent closure over safety concerns. Chief executive Michael Forbes said he was ''bloody gobsmacked''. ''Everyone's sort of in shock,'' he said.
Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/environment/weather/more-homes-threatened-as-hopes-for-rain-recede-20131019-2vtls.html#ixzz2iDdkyt2L
Sandi
Adelaide, South Australia
Sandi is female  Sandi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2013, 02:30 AM

Yes the fires here have been devastating.

Mollie
We have been lucky in Adelaide only a few small fires which they have been able to contain very quickly and it is predicted that we will have rain from later today for about 5 days, which will help in one way but in others will allow lots more vegetation to grow.

Our usually big fires are from about Christmas til March when we get 43C days and this year will be very bad for us as we have had more rain so there will be more undergrowth to burn. So people will have to be more vigilant.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

20-10-2013, 04:09 AM

Well of course spreading fires are far worse than a thunder and lightning storm, so I hope everyone stays very safe.

It's just that we're not used to storms like we've had today and the probability is that many homes have been affected by flash flooding because of the ineptitude of our local council.

Stay safe everyone.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2013, 07:12 AM

And there was I yesterday afternoon having to pull the curtains in the lounge because the sun was streaming through and affecting my view of the television. Today we are promised 'Blustery showers'.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2013, 08:17 AM

I spoke too soon last night woke up to thunder and lightening and rain and Mollie dog desperately trying to get under the bed (2inch gap so unlikely). Now she is huddled under the dining table with a blanket thrown over the top, waiting in her "den" for the nasty bangs to go away
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2013, 08:27 AM

I was at a friend's wedding reception in Yorkshire and we got that storm just as I went out to get something from my car. LOTS of lightening, and bucketing down. Waited in the car for a while, but still looked like a drowned rat when I went back in...
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

20-10-2013, 08:43 AM

That's annoying isn't it and I bet at least one person wittily said is it raining

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top