Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2015, 04:03 PM

FDA (Food and Drug Administration) bans trans fats in food

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/Cons.../ucm372915.htm

The FDA has stated that trans fats (partially hydrogenated oils) are no longer regarded as safe and are giving food manufacturers 3 years to comply with the new rule, that all trans fats must be removed from their products by the year 2018.

While some of us (myself included) see this as a good thing - since I already avoid purchasing food that has "partially hydrogenated oils" in the ingredient list - others aren't so happy about it. In fact some people are actually angry about it, saying it's just more regulation and that the government should stay out of our food.

Have they done anything like this in the UK yet? If not, do you wish they would? Hope they don't? What do you all think?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2015, 06:21 PM

Re: FDA (Food and Drug Administration) bans trans fats in food

We tend to follow a few years after, must admit i gave up looking at ingredients on labels a while back, you need a degree in chemistry to understand them
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2015, 09:19 PM

That I can't argue with. But I always look at fat content and check the ingredient label for the hydrogenated oils. A food can claim 0 trans fat per serving, but it doesn't mean the hydrogenated oils aren't in there.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2015, 09:24 PM

I think a few here have removed hydrogenated fat from their food, especially from ready meals. I read all my labels though it takes longer with each passing year!
Linda0818
USA

18-06-2015, 09:33 PM

Yeah, many food manufacturers have already dropped it and restaurants, one by one, have announced that they've switched to healthier oils for frying. But it's still out there. Even some breakfast cereals still have the bad oils, so I don't buy them anymore. And it's pretty common in things like crackers, cookies, cakes (frozen desserts as well as boxed desserts you make yourself, which I also don't buy anymore), snack foods and even ice cream. There's a LOT of stuff I stopped buying years ago because of the trans fat content.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2015, 09:36 PM

Nightmare trying to stay healthy and sometimes I feel like giving up but I just can't buy anything without reading labels and more so now I have to be gluten free!
Linda0818
USA

18-06-2015, 10:03 PM

That's got to be hard, having to give up gluten. That's something I hope I never have to do. However, I have mild IBS. So who knows, maybe gluten is the culprit.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2015, 10:47 PM

Many retailers here announced they would be removing manufactured trans fats from their own brand foods about 8 years ago...
Artery clogging trans-fats will have been phased out of almost all supermarket own-brand food within weeks, Britain's major retailers said yesterday.
The British Retail Consortium, which represents most of the leading supermarkets, claimed that the voluntary move would cut the rates of heart disease and obesity.
ADVERTISING
Marks & Spencer, Waitrose, Sainsbury's and Tesco say they have already removed the potentially harmful fats from own-brand lines, while Asda says it is "very nearly there". Boots, Morrisons, Iceland and Somerfield also confirmed that they were phasing trans-fats out of processed food within months.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...rket-food.html
I guess it is still around in some processed food and take away meals.
Linda0818
USA

18-06-2015, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Many retailers here announced they would be removing trans fats from their own brand foods about 8 years ago...

I guess it is still around in some processed food and take away meals.
Yes it is. We had the same thing, they said years ago they would remove trans fat, and some of them have. But it was by their own choice. Now it's going to be mandatory.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2015, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
Yes it is. We had the same thing, they said years ago they would remove trans fat, and some of them have. But it was by their own choice. Now it's going to be mandatory.
Linda I understand some trans fats occur naturally in meat and dairy products so I am guessing you are talking about manufactured trans fats which occur when fats are hydrogenation turning liquid oil into solid fat.

I have always believed the less processes a food undergoes the better it is so I have never really eaten processed foods or takeaways prefering home cooked and fresh food.

When the fad began for spreads which were supposed to be healthy I stuck to butter (in small amounts) because it seemed more natural to me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top