Join for free
Page 9 of 11 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 >
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2020, 10:54 PM

Re: Manual (stick shift)or Automatic transmission

Originally Posted by David P ->
I passed my test in a manual car but after a good number of pain experienced in my feet (not both at the same time - luckily), I had to change to an automatic. I would it find it difficult to change back. Of course, when we have to go totally electric, we will not have a choice. Only automatics available.
I agree, it’s difficult to go back if it’s been years.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 10:02 PM

It has to be manual, for control freaks.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
It has to be manual, for control freaks.
I’m a control freak !
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2020, 08:59 AM

I had to drive a manual a few days ago, No problems. But at first I did wonder what the third pedal did.🤔
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2020, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
I’m a control freak !
A Hillman Minx? From the Rootes group..........
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

24-10-2020, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
A Hillman Minx? From the Rootes group..........
No such luck! Can’t get my hands on that vintage model even if I am also ‘Minx’!
DaveA
Massachusetts, US
DaveA is male  DaveA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2021, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
I’m not sure about CVT. I’ve got a DSG auto transmission. My first car was a VW. You’re right, it was jerky and no power steering either. The point of a manual transmission is instinctively knowing when to change up or down. Comes with experience - lots of it!
I had a used '84 Rabbit diesel at one time and the lack of power was incredible. It was a stick shift and in hilly country I had to play that shifter like a banjo to keep the RPM's up.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

03-02-2021, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by DaveA ->
I had a used '84 Rabbit diesel at one time and the lack of power was incredible. It was a stick shift and in hilly country I had to play that shifter like a banjo to keep the RPM's up.
Bet those were the best days of your life!
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

03-02-2021, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
I had to drive a manual a few days ago, No problems. But at first I did wonder what the third pedal did.🤔
Your brain has like a kick start - and you have to remember what to do again! But you never forget!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2021, 09:31 PM

Automatics sound convenient, but upon reflection I think I'd stick with manual as it gives you more control.

An example:
The other day, Marge was putting the car away in the garage (DVLA are still wondering whether to restore my licence!), and we are obliged to drive from a standstill up our drive which is something like a 1 in 4 rise in places.
Marge is a very good driver and has become used to doing this, but she remarked at the time that it's a good idea that we don't have an automatic.

For those in the know, how well would an automatic cope setting off on such a steep rise, especially with a relatively narrow opening to negotiate at the top?

EDIT:
Oi! My avatar (of which I'm proud) disappeared.
Oh, it's back now.

Page 9 of 11 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top