Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2020, 09:57 PM

Re: Robotic lawnmowers

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
What about a Compost Corner?
TBH, I really can't be bothered to sort one out. I know they're pretty low maintenance, unless one wants to do a load of turning over every so often etc, but I really can't be arsed. Plus, 3 bags of compost for a tenner is more than I really need each year.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2020, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Bloody hell - my Victa mower cost just under $400 (£200) last year and lasts at least 5 years without any maintenance expenses (let's face it anybody can work on a Briggs and Stratton engine).

To get someone to cut my grass would cost at least $25 a week so there is no contest.

The only thing that really bugs me is that the council's grass is a bigger area than the grass on my block. (Mine is a corner block) so I spend too long cutting their grass.
Unfortunately due to damage done to my neck and shoulder, trying to start a lawn mower with the usual pull cord, I then had to buy an electric start lawn mower, costlier than the other type. (See link below.) Also while anyone can work on the same engine your's has, that depends on age and fitness of the person servicing it. My health is not good due to that previous injury and a motorcycle accident many years' ago plus a heart attack a while back – I am almost ready for the scrap heap myself! For the last twelve years since then I have managed the garden OK. Recently though it's become a little too much hence the 'robotic lawn mower' who now cuts the lawns for me every couple of weeks. That costs about the same as you quoted. Taking into account the cost of a new lawn mower plus all the associated costs it's not too bad. However, for my own reasons I would like to do it myself but have had to delegate that, for the sake of my health.

https://www.mowersupermarket.co.uk/h...t-roller-mower

Originally Posted by caricature ->
Service mine myself, no cost at all. Briggs and Stratton engine will last for ever, it's the body of the damn mower that give up.
I agree, the Briggs and Stratton engine is a good one and will probably outlast the rest of the lawn mower, a Hayter. Although it's a very good make, that has started showing signs of the 12 years or so use it's had, plastic parts have started cracking slightly so failing. Now I've sorted out someone to do the mowing I will sell the old lawn mower, whatever that fetches will go towards paying the chap who mows the grass.

Also of course, I am not shattered after both large lawns have been mown the same day!
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2020, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Also of course, I am not shattered after both large lawns have been mown the same day!
Which will be a bonus, take care.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2020, 04:04 PM

My son has had one for 3 years to cut a large square in the paddock outside the front window. It does an amazing job

The mower in action..

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	mower.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	13440  
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2020, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by caricature ->
Which will be a bonus, take care.
Thanks Carictature, yes it is a big bonus so will continue to enjoy doing just that!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top