Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2020, 12:10 PM

Re: Help Please.

Originally Posted by caricature ->
You need to find out what they are after, leatherjackets? is possible, in which case you need to deal with their food supply

From the rspb.

.Larsen traps
Larsen trap, a type of cage trap, is designed to catch birds alive and unharmed. It can be baited with food, or with a live decoy magpie, provided all welfare regulations are met. In Scotland, a cage trap must have an identifying tag obtainable from the police Wildlife Crime Officer.

If you suspect that a trap has been set illegally to catch birds of prey, please report this to your local WCO. Gun laws prevent shooting of magpies close to public roads and houses.

We are not opposed to legal, site-specific control of magpies, nor to the legal use of Larsen or other cage traps, as long as the general licence conditions are strictly adhered to.
Larsen Traps have to have a licence in Scotland, and only certain operators get one. I wouldn't be granted one. But as Tessa says, what would I do with the bird if it was caught. I don't want to kill it, and if I drove along the coast to release it, the wee scunner would probably be back before me.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2020, 01:13 PM

Supposed to be on Guard, Magpie Duty........Not.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200811_100150.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	13530  
Takahashi
United Kingdom
Takahashi is male  Takahashi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2020, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
We have a family of 4 Magpies near us and they are tearing up the lawns daily. We got new turf down to fix the mess and now that's being torn up. It's so annoying and I don't know how to stop them. Unless someone sit's outside all the time it keeps happening. Every time I pop indoors they fly down.
Have you got an outside tap?
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2020, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Yes we have Gulls as we're right beside the coast. But they don't bother with my garden, you want to see them when Himself's busy in the fields though lol Swarms of them following the tractor.
We don't live anywhere near the coast but we have gulls too and they're a bleeding menace.

Originally Posted by Takahashi ->
Have you got an outside tap?
I was thinking about trying a powerful water pistol.
Glanny
N.Ireland
Glanny is female  Glanny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2020, 05:25 PM

Me too Percy, a supersoaker
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.

14-08-2020, 05:37 PM

Yes there's an outside tap but it's over at the other side of the house, hose won't reach this far round. All I can do is keep chasing untill the covering arrives from Ebay. Will also check the cliff caves on the beach for stones big enough to fit into the holes then put more earth on top with new seed. Blooming birds, I could cheerfully throttle them.
Takahashi
United Kingdom
Takahashi is male  Takahashi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2020, 08:57 PM

It might be wise to get some extra hose and join them. I use this deterrent to keep cats, foxes, squirrels and large birds off my lawn. Just insert a couple of batteries, connect to hose, connect hose to tap and sit back and enjoy the show! It's also available from Amazon.

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Defenders-J...CABEgIK0fD_BwE
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.

25-08-2020, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Takahashi ->
It might be wise to get some extra hose and join them. I use this deterrent to keep cats, foxes, squirrels and large birds off my lawn. Just insert a couple of batteries, connect to hose, connect hose to tap and sit back and enjoy the show! It's also available from Amazon.

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Defenders-J...CABEgIK0fD_BwE

Thanks, I may just give that a go. They have already started on the new turf. They are simply driving me nuts and putting my BP through the roof.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top