Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 09:13 AM

Re: A Bridlington Excursion

Lovely pics of a beautiful spot. I haven't been to Brid since I was a kid living in South Yorks, but it brings happy memories of Dad taking us for days out whenever he could.

Like you, we have ramped up our days out by here in case of another lockdown. Make the most if it while you can, and please come back with more pics when the lockdown eases.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 09:19 AM

I used to love Brid as well, but haven't been there in donkey's years for some reason, when we go to Yorkshire we always seem to head further north to the Whitby/ Runswick Bay area and the North Yorks Moors these days. Good to see photos of the place though, they brought back many happy memories of years past..
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Nice day out. Not a big surf that day then?
There has never been much surfing in Bridlington Bruce, I'm not sure if it's the shape of the beach or the fact that it's protected from being in a bay. You never seem to get rollers coming in from a long way out, and it only gets rough here during a storm. The tide was out yesterday when we visited, and although it was quite windy, it was blowing from the landward side and probably assisting the tide during it's ebb.

There is surfing just a few miles further up the East Coast in Scarborough though, and it's very popular, with large rollers coming from a long way out, I'll post some photos the next time I visit.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Stay safe Bob, it's not worth taking any risks and I hope your village stays free. I hate to think how long this virus will be with us.
Thanks Mags, it'll be battening down the hatches for the forseeable for Mrs Fox and me....
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I think I've only ever been to Bridlington once before...your pics are lovely so its on the list for a re-visit. You are right about staying safe Bob... me and Lion Queen realised we were breaking the rules and postponed our meeting....fed up with this virus

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

23-10-2020, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
It looks lovely and peaceful Foxy! Just the ticket at the moment
Thanks TessA, yes it was nice to get away for a while, and with not many people there it was quite safe and relaxing. We parked on the front looking out to sea. We used to joke about old people doing that with their sandwiches and flasks of tea, and now we are doing it....Not with the sandwiches and tea yet though!....
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 11:05 AM

Brid used to be our choice to holiday in our early marriage years. We used to talk about retiring there.

My god daughter moved there 2 years ago right next to the sea front. She told me since she moved there she has found out that many of the boarding houses have become flats for drug addicts and it isnt the place it once was.

I was there earlier in the year and I still like it, I love the smell of seaside. Nice coastal pics
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

23-10-2020, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Lovely day out for you and good photos. As a child, I went to Bridlington on a train from Leeds (my Mother's home city). I was very young and don't remember any of what it was like there, so it's good to see some photos of a seaside town I once had a day trip to.
We might have bumped into each other then Mart, Bridlington was the preferred holiday destination for our family. We used to take the train from Doncaster, it was called the 'fishermen's train' because a lot of the local fishermen used to go for a day's sea fishing and return home with their catch in the evening. You could pick up some lovely fresh fish cheap if you waited on the station for their return.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

23-10-2020, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Great photos, Foxy! Wish I had known you were going - I'd have hitched a lift and treated you both to Fish'n'chips!
I'll give you the heads up next we go Tabby, there's nothing like eating fish and chips outside in an east coast seaside resort, especially if you haven't had to pay for them....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

23-10-2020, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I think I've only ever been to Bridlington once before...your pics are lovely so its on the list for a re-visit. You are right about staying safe Bob... me and Lion Queen realised we were breaking the rules and postponed our meeting....fed up with this virus
I was only joking about the rules Summer, and I'm sorry you had to postpone your meeting with Lion Queen.

Hopefully we can soon return to normal and your meetup can take place under happier circumstances....

I'm surprised that you have only visited Bridlington the once Summer living where you do... Over the years it has probably been one of our most popular places to visit, both summer and winter alike.
I suppose all the east coast resorts fell out of favour once it was cheap and easy enough to visit Spain and Greece etc, perhaps they will become more popular again now travel is becoming a bit risky.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top