Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 11:20 AM

Re: A Bridlington Excursion

Very nice Foxy. I hope you had a paddle.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I do love the sea it must have been lovely to feel the sea breeze on your face Bob. I am glad you were able to get out and enjoy your day.
Thanks Meg, it's always a pleasure to visit Bridlington, it was the location for one of my favourite half marathons. Usually run at this time of year as well. Unfortunately, it won't take place this year, and I'm getting a bit too old to enter it anyway (I would feel too embarrassed to put in such a slow time)

What is it about the sea that some people find irresistable Meg? Both Mrs Fox and me both have to get our fix of seeing it and breathing in that fresh sea air every now and then. And living just one hour away makes Bridlington the perfect destination for a day out....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
Lovely pics of a beautiful spot. I haven't been to Brid since I was a kid living in South Yorks, but it brings happy memories of Dad taking us for days out whenever he could.

Like you, we have ramped up our days out by here in case of another lockdown. Make the most if it while you can, and please come back with more pics when the lockdown eases.
Thanks Fruitcake...
I had intended to do more walking around Bridlington and Flamborough this year, but Covid got in the way. No matter, providing I can survive the virus I will be looking forward to planning some decent walks around there next year. Meanwhile, I'll have a look in my archives and live off the memories for a while. Your photos have certainly inspired me to get out there more often....Thanks again...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

23-10-2020, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I used to love Brid as well, but haven't been there in donkey's years for some reason, when we go to Yorkshire we always seem to head further north to the Whitby/ Runswick Bay area and the North Yorks Moors these days. Good to see photos of the place though, they brought back many happy memories of years past..
Thanks Barry, we were the same, gradually drifting further north to Scarborough, Robin Hoods Bay, Staiths or Whitby.
Mrs Fox is finding Robin Hoods Bay and Staiths a bit of a hard climb these days though, so it was nice to walk down the nice new flat promenade at Brid, and at just over an hours drive, not too far for a grand day out...Glad you enjoyed the photos Barry, I have a few more previous ones of Brid I'll post...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

23-10-2020, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Brid used to be our choice to holiday in our early marriage years. We used to talk about retiring there.

My god daughter moved there 2 years ago right next to the sea front. She told me since she moved there she has found out that many of the boarding houses have become flats for drug addicts and it isnt the place it once was.

I was there earlier in the year and I still like it, I love the smell of seaside. Nice coastal pics
I'm sorry you were unable to meet Summer, Lion Queen, I was only joking about the rules but you have to do what you feel comfortable with....
Once this virus is on the way out you will meet Summer and wonder what all the fuss was about....

Yes, I heard that about Bridlington also Lion Queen, such a shame, and I think the local council are doing their best to make it safe and tidy for all the visitors in the future. They have spent a lot of money doing up the whole sea front all the way past the Spa to the south side, it certainly makes a splendid walk, it's just a pity that the town centre is struggling after losing Woolworths and more recently M&S and Mcdonalds. Why did M&S and Woolworths always appear next to each other in most town centres?...

I once drove a load of mates from work to the Spa for a 'Thin Lizzy' concert, absolutely brilliant!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

23-10-2020, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Very nice Foxy. I hope you had a paddle.
Thanks d00d, unfortunately not on this occasion, I once nearly drowned at Bridlington though....
I was about sixteen, king of the world! when some young lads had kicked a ball into the sea and were unable to recover it...Foxy to the rescue!.. I dived in and started to swim after it. I hadn't realised that the tide was taking the ball out to sea, with my focus on the ball I hadn't noticed how far I had swum out....

I decided the only way to retrieve it was to swim around it and let it come to me, but as I turned and looked back I could only just see the beach in the distance. Frightened was not the word! Beginning to feel cold and tired, I decided to catch the ball and at least use it as a buoyancy aid for my swim back to shore.

Obviously I made it back otherwise I wouldn't be telling the story, but it was the hardest thing I had ever done and after arriving on the beach I had to be carried off the beach, being too tired and unable to walk on rubber legs. A severe bollocking off my Dad finished off a tiring day...
Since then, I've done a number of long swims in the sea, because I've always been a nutter and up for a challenge....It'll probably be the death of me, if covid doesn't get me first...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

23-10-2020, 03:37 PM

I found these in my archives.
The one on the left is a one year old Foxy taking a stroll down the seafront in Bridlington, possibly my first ever visit.
And the one on the right is one year later on our annual holiday to Brid with Mum and Dad....

Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I'm sorry you were unable to meet Summer, Lion Queen, I was only joking about the rules but you have to do what you feel comfortable with....
Once this virus is on the way out you will meet Summer and wonder what all the fuss was about....

Yes, I heard that about Bridlington also Lion Queen, such a shame, and I think the local council are doing their best to make it safe and tidy for all the visitors in the future. They have spent a lot of money doing up the whole sea front all the way past the Spa to the south side, it certainly makes a splendid walk, it's just a pity that the town centre is struggling after losing Woolworths and more recently M&S and Mcdonalds. Why did M&S and Woolworths always appear next to each other in most town centres?...

I once drove a load of mates from work to the Spa for a 'Thin Lizzy' concert, absolutely brilliant!
I remember me and John going to watch wrestling at the Spa, Big Daddy, Giant Haystacks, Jackie Turpin and Mick McManus were on, it was dead good fun. Oh, those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 06:11 PM

Foxy, I nearly went to see thin lizzy at the spa back in 77 , but went to see quo instead, always regretted it, although in fairness, quo were brilliant, went to see them again in 84 again brilliant.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 08:03 PM

Lovely photos @ OldGreyFox (Bob? Hey, I'm a Bob too!)

I've never been to Brid and we would have gone this summer with our family from Hull, but this darned virus made that a not-very-good idea.
If nothing else we have it still to look forward too, hopefully while our granddaughter is still young.

You were asking earlier about east coast resorts being busier because of the hooh-hah about foreign hol's because of the virus?
Well I can tell you for certain that our little town of Mablethorpe is much busier this year, confirmed by local business.
(I call it "our little town" but I actually live rurally a small distance away so that we can avoid the hassles which a busy holiday period can cause.)
Even now late in the season and with the weather being ..... variable, the place is unseasonably busy.

Our local council are trying to make the caravan season here year-round in an attempt to further promote the employment that holidaying here brings to locals, but they're meeting huge resistance.
Even from the Environment Agency who say they'd be at risk (during these few extra months) if we flood - but funnily enough the risk isn't enough to prevent hundreds of new houses from being built!

Me?
I just wish somebody would decide whether they really want our coastal resorts to prosper or have the honesty to say that they don't really care.

Beechings cuts decimated our little town and this part of the coast; my uncle ran a cafe in town for decades, only retiring 15 or 20 years ago now and he felt the consequences.
There's still not much here now and the council seem determined to cause harm by reducing what we had.
There's not even a senior school now - in a town of 13,000 and growing - meaning the nearest is in Alford (pop. under 4000) which is 7 miles away and has both a comp. and a grammar school!
The school my son goes to is about 15 miles away and in a place with a population of under 2000; try and explain the sense in that?

It is so sad because other than the beach and dunes - which if they were in so many other places on the planet would get huge publicity, investment and encouragement for tourism - there really is nothing much here to encourage the return of the visitors we get now, much less persuade new holidaymakers en-masse.
But the place keeps drawing me back, no matter where I've moved to in the past.

Apologies for my lengthy drone, but hopefully somebody finds it of interest.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top