Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2019, 09:30 PM

Re: Sauces.

You are all very talented & creative ..
Respect
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2019, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
She had her own food blog..........
http://adollopofcream.blogspot.com/
I have that already bookmarked - lovely recipes in there!
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Wow! Keezoy. That's impressive. I bet they are so much nicer than the shop bought stuff. What got you into making them?
LD I just love cooking. I've been cooking since I was 8 years old. My mother and older sister were kitchen queens and I just tagged along when I had nothing else to do. Sydney is very cosmopolitan and it is obsessed with food so you can't really help learning to cook here or at least knowing a fair bit about good food. Same in the other cities and they are very competitive with each other.

THank you Dood. And also for you ST those recipes.

Viet Coriander/ Cilantro and ginger sauce.

Vietnamese ginger and coriander sauce
10 bird’s eye chillies
3 cloves garlic
50g young ginger
3 red chillies
8 stalks coriander
4 leaves sawtooth coriander
Seasoning
2 tbsp light soy sauce
2 tbsp sesame oil
50ml calamansi lime juice
Salt and sugar to taste

Put bird's eye chillies, garlic, ginger, coriander and sawtooth coriander into a food processor. Process until you get required consistency.
Put mixture into a small sauce pot and bring to a slow simmering boil for 8-10 minutes. Adjust with seasoning to taste.

Thousand Island Seafood Sauce

INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons ketchup/ tomato sauce
2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
2 teaspoons finely diced onion (I use red onion but yellow or white would work just fine)
1 large clove of garlic minced up
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1/8 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
2-3 dashes Tabasco sauce (optional)

DIRECTIONS:
Add all ingredients to a mini blender or fine processor and buzz up. Add additional salt if desired. Refrigerate for at least an hour to allow the flavors to meld. Serve.
Keeps refrigerated for 3 – 4 days (probably longer, but for us it’s long gone by then)
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 07:54 AM

Thank you very much, Keezoy, duly copied into my recipe file! You are a star!!

I have only ever had Thousand Island dressing in restaurants and thought it horrid pink slime. Your recipe sounds delicious will have to try it out over the week end!

The Vietnamese one is totally new to me but sounds equally delicious. What would you use it with? Meat/Fish/Poultry?
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2019, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Thank you very much, Keezoy, duly copied into my recipe file! You are a star!!

I have only ever had Thousand Island dressing in restaurants and thought it horrid pink slime. Your recipe sounds delicious will have to try it out over the week end!

The Vietnamese one is totally new to me but sounds equally delicious. What would you use it with? Meat/Fish/Poultry?
You're welcome ST. Maybe 1000 island is not for you. My recipe is pretty much standard but try it anyway. Maybe the lot you had just was not done right. The Viet sauce is a dipping sauce so you can use it with any Asian finger size food. Chilli chicken wings or pieces, prawns, squid. Anything Asian really. Obviously if you stick strictly to the recipe you get the total effect of the taste but you can do without the sawtooth coriander because it may be hard to get. But it still tastes great. Ordinary ginger and ordinary lime juice is fine too.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

10-11-2019, 08:38 AM

Thank you again, Keezoy!
Devo
SW UK
Devo is male  Devo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
My dear wife makes delicious food and sauces.
Here is one:

White Wine Sauce
1 oz butter
½ c onions, finely diced ( I used shallots and only ¼ c)
1 c White Wine
1 ½ oz Demi-Glace Gold *
¾ tsp dry mustard, dissolved in warm water ( I didn’t have any so I used appx ½ tsp Dijon mustard instead)
½ c Water, hot
Salt and freshly ground pepper
I make a white wine sauce that is very different from that -
Apart from a few standard proportions, I am pretty freeform in my recipes but it something like this:

Equal quantities of white wine (not a sweet one) and double cream, shallots, garlic, tarragon (ideally fresh), salt (minimal) and black pepper

Boil the wine until it has reduced by two thirds.
While this happening, slow sauté the finely chopped shallots and, when they are transparenting, add the finely chopped garlic and sauté a bit longer.
Remove from heat, add wine to shallots, add cream and stir continuously over a low heat until it thickens.
Season and add chopped tarragon and enjoy with fish, pasta and shellfish, etc. A bit rich but very yummy!
Devo
SW UK
Devo is male  Devo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 03:49 PM

This is another pasta sauce recipe that I made up as I went along a while back. Even though I say so myself, it is bloody wonderful!

An average family pack of cherry tomatoes
A quarter to a half of red wine (I use Merlot because it works well I enjoy drinking what's left in the bottle) - the actual amount depends on your taste.
Onions/shallots, fine chopped
Stick of celery, fine chopped
Garlic, fine chopped
Chilli (fresh, finely chopped, or flakes, to your taste)
Tomato puree, as required for 'tomatoness'
Black olives, coarse chopped
Fresh basil, coarse shredded, loads but, I suppose, again according to taste
Salt & pepper

Slow sauté the onions, celery, chilli and, after a while, the garlic. While that is doing, zap the tomatoes in a food processor (or a hand blender, as I do) until they are well pulverised.
Add the tomatoes and wine to the cooked onions, etc, stir and heat over a lowish heat, tasting for seasoning. Be warned, before it cooks together, the flavour is pretty dire and the appearance is a bit odd as well!
When it all seems to be pretty well homogenised, add the basil and olives, cook a little longer , taste again for seasoning.
Use as you see fit.

N.B. Depending on the juiciness of the tomatoes, it might be necessary to add some stock.
Should you have to use ordinary tomatoes, which I have never tried, I would think it might be necessary to add some sugar - the sweetness of the cherry tomatoes neutralises the wine's relative bitterness, without that sweetness the sauce would be a bit unpleasant, I reckon.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

14-11-2019, 04:19 PM

Both of those sound wonderful, Devo, will add them to my 'to try' list!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top