Join for free
Page 8 of 8 « First < 6 7 8
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2019, 12:32 PM

Re: Everything New in Windows 10’s May 2019 Update

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Ooh thanks JBR. I shall have a read of that. Did you attempt to change you fan speed and did it work.
No, I haven't tried that.
I just look at it occasionally to see how the temperatures are changing. At present, all seems to be fine so no need to try to change anything.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2019, 12:39 PM

Currently on 86 deg so will be logging off pretty soon.
Interesting.

I have 4 cores and all of them seem to be steady at around 45 degrees. When I opened Photoshop just now, they peaked very briefly to about 65 degrees, then back to normal. I didn't do anything in Photoshop.

Obviously, when certain power-hungry programmes are started up and used, the temperatures rise.

Which programmes are you using when yours go so high?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2019, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Interesting.

I have 4 cores and all of them seem to be steady at around 45 degrees. When I opened Photoshop just now, they peaked very briefly to about 65 degrees, then back to normal. I didn't do anything in Photoshop.

Obviously, when certain power-hungry programmes are started up and used, the temperatures rise.

Which programmes are you using when yours go so high?
Yes, I am currently creating a photobook on Photobox and that seems to be when it get hottest - also with Gimp.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2019, 04:17 PM

Room temperature might be a factor. Maybe the problem wouldn't occur at a different time of year when temperatures are some degrees lower. The laptop should still cope with cooling but it might struggle to dissipate heat if room temperature is high.

Just a suggestion but try elevating the laptop a bit by putting something under the back or front edge to give more room underneath for air circulation.

There are laptop stands available that can help with overheating.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2019, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Just a suggestion but try elevating the laptop a bit by putting something under the back or front edge to give more room underneath for air circulation.

Good idea .....

I used a couple of rubber doorstops:

and then, if required, boost the airflow underneath with a USB fan:

..... not very technical but quite effective .....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2019, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Room temperature might be a factor. Maybe the problem wouldn't occur at a different time of year when temperatures are some degrees lower. The laptop should still cope with cooling but it might struggle to dissipate heat if room temperature is high.

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Good idea .....

I used a couple of rubber doorstops:

and then, if required, boost the airflow underneath with a USB fan:

..... not very technical but quite effective .....
Thanks I will try that. It's burning my highs at the moment because I am wearing shorts.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

09-07-2019, 09:42 PM

Thanks I will try that. It's burning my highs at the moment because I am wearing shorts.
You could wear long pants.

Or maybe a pinny.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

10-07-2019, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
You could wear long pants.

Or maybe a pinny.
That's similar to what I have been viewing online.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2019, 02:08 PM

I have come across some things in 1809 and 1903 that I hadn't noticed before.

Short cuts cannot be created by dragged using the right button. I haven't created a shortcut for ages so hadn't come across it lately

A problem in 1903 is that a shortcut which called a batch file that worked in 1809 doesn't work in 1903. CMD complains that you cannot use UNC paths as the current path. I have over come this problem by editing the short cut from "\\Lenovo-PC\..." to "C:\..." but I wonder if the upgrade changed C:\ to the network (UNC) name? Don't know.

Not a major problem just irritating.

Page 8 of 8 « First < 6 7 8

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top