Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2019, 09:19 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Yes I believe in letting the dead rest wherever they are laid to rest, ferreting around in graveyards should be left to the ferrets, digging up old graveyards seems to be on the increase, maybe a sign might help “Visit don’t Ferret”
It used to be nigh on impossible to get an exhumation order, and that was when foul play as suspected, now there digging ‘em up willy nilly, maybe there's a time limit for how long they let you rest in peace.
There used to be something very eerie about an exhumation and it was always done in the small hours of the morning.

Glasnevin Cemetery is the largest graveyard in Ireland, opened in 1883, and all my folks are buried there, I’ll be cremated in the crematorium and so will the wife.
I live quite near there and when we were kids the brother and me used to ramble through the old part of the cemetery after school, in those days they had the old family vaunts, the wooden doors would be half rotted and you could just push them in and go inside to see the coffins piled on top of one another, they are all gone now, levelled to make way for more customers.
Just as you enter the main gate and turn left there are huge monuments to bishops and city dignitaries, some arch bishops resting places are more like like mini churches than big headstones, it’s amazing what some people will do to try to be remembered forever.
Later in life I used to visit Glasnevin to make sketches of the many Celtic crosses there to make up in gold and silver, there are hundreds of different Celtic cross designs there.
Many famous Irish people are buried there and I believe they do guided tours of the place now, it’s well worth a visit if you like history.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2019, 09:44 PM

I remember the Celtic Warrior, he put an end to the English monopoly, it grieved me but you can't "Knock" it, he was good.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2019, 11:20 AM

That Glasnevin looks a fascinating place where it looks as though you could easily get lost Jem and I didn't realise there were so many variations on the celtic cross. Can see why you took inspiration for your jewellery.

We also lived near a very old disused cemetery where we often played and even pretended to die draped over collapsed graves in our cops and robbers/cowboys and Indian games. It turned out in later years when the ground was bought for developement that plaque victims were buried there so bodies had to be exhumed. Lord did we ever live precariously in our younger days.

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2019, 08:41 PM

I hadn’t seen Glasnevin from the air before, nice to see it that way for a change, thanks Solo.

I still remember a scene from the film “The Flesh and the Fiends” (1960) where Burke and Hare chase Daft Jamie into the pig sty before they strangle him, me being 14 at the time and a bit of a daft Jamie meself I kept feeling me neck for reassurance every night going to bed for weeks afterwards.

I’ve often said that I know nothing about gardening or growing stuff, but some months ago Lidl had a cheap plastic greenhouse on offer, it consisted of a lot of steel poles, spikes, gridded shelves, and a huge heavy plastic covering, all in a flat packed box, 40 euros I think it was, so I got one for the wife to do her seeds and stuff but also out of curiosity to see if I could put it together, if it all went wrong there would be no great loss. It’s only 4’x4’ and about 7’ high, but big enough for a beginner.
Well I got the thing up in a corner of the side garden, wedged up against the old shed wall and the dividing wall of my neighbour, well staked down and sheltered so it won’t blow away in a storm, I even managed to put in a solid floor with remnants of wood and floor boards I had lying about.
Phyllis is as happy as Laura fixing her seeds and flowers in there and her tomatoes are coming along fine, she has cucumbers there and some other queer named vegetables. She enjoys pottering around there so much that I think I’ll buy her a real greenhouse for her birthday next year, well she always says she’d like something useful whenever I ask her, so over the years I've bought her several hoovers, three gas cookers, four washing machines, lots of pots and pans, and half a dozen electric kettles, sure what more could a happily married woman want for her birthday?
How I remember her beaming face all those years ago when I bought her an electric iron as an engagement present, she wept with joy, what a steamy night that was, she was laid out flat.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2019, 10:09 PM

Been there Jem, sorted out some creases, then went on to the next pressing engagement.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2019, 03:08 PM

Nice little starter greenhouse there for someone who is going onto bigger and better things by the looks of it.

Those toms look like they have been lovingly talked to and pampered by Phyllis which is supposedly how you keep em happy.

Whilst I can grow any shrub, tree or flower, veg have always put 2 fingers up at my efforts and not the green type either. You would think I am the mafia the way they die at any attempts I have made...and that's just the seeds.

My last effort was spuds. Did all that Percy Thrower stuff and the results for months of tender loving care was one spud no bigger than my thumb nail. I wasn't going to let size spoil my moment...as size doesn't really matter (who is kidding who on that) I gently boiled it whilst savouring the thought of smothering that lil tater in glorious best butter and actually tasting home grown.

Fat chance of that..that lil spud must have thought it was being babtised Mafia style,so panicked and disolved into a puff of nothing. I still hear that lil taters ghost laughing at me.

Phyllis I salute your veggie skill
and it must give you quite a thrill
To see those toms proudly grow
and put on such a terrific show.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

10-07-2019, 01:17 PM

Oh she loves her plants Solo, she’s ever so gentle and caring when she’s attending them, she has green fingers as they say, probably from all the brass rings I made her over the years, had to keep the good stuff for the paying customers.

So you made the spuds an offer and they flatly refused, said it was only small potatoes.

Yes I read somewhere that talking and singing to tomatoes works wonders for them, it also makes your ears grow, just look a prince Charlie’s, he talks to plants.
One day I’ll pop into the potting shed and find her stretched out like the picture below taken from that film “Attack of the Killer Tomatoes”?
That may not be so unbelievable now with all the messin about they do with them, haven’t they mixed parts of Fish DNA with them already? I can see the headlines now “Mafia Scientist makes Tomatoes sleep with the Fishes” A fish having it off with a tomato, wonder what you’d call the outcome, a Tom Cod? actually there is a jump jockey called Tom Codd.

solo
UK

10-07-2019, 04:05 PM

What with me being haunted by a ghostly mini spud, visions of folk being flattened by genetically wonky toms and charles talking to his plants.. or was that his ears.. it has reminded me of this clip I saw sometime ago.

Nan is trying to read The Wonky Donkey book to her grandchild...with hilarious results.. The demand for the book and sales went ballistic after this was shown. Hee Haw

You do wonder what happened to Once upon a time

solo
UK

11-07-2019, 10:54 AM

I love how us humans are so inventive when push comes to shove and being a good old northerner I was chuffed to bits when I read of a lassie from Lancashire who when faced with what to wear to a fancy bash came up with a cracking solution.

Her dilema was that she could not find a fascinator to match her dress and her lighbulb moment came in her bathroom where she saw that a bath puff ( those things you wash your body with) matched her dress perfectly. Clipped the bath puff to her hair and Voila..job done.

Don't you just love these lightbulb moments.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

11-07-2019, 11:07 AM

I come from a generation who thought Basil Brush was the greatest entertainer ever, I was a Baby Boom-Boomer.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top