Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2019, 04:03 PM

Re: Panorama Investigation into anti-Semitism in the Labour Party

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
When it comes to rules surely the Decalogue are the basis of Christianity as well as Judaism if not Roman Catholicism?

And having faith that Jesus is the saviour of all Christians if they follow the rules that he taught?

As for Judaism a lot of people don't know that there are many flavours of Judaism ranging from the Haredi (Ultra Orthodox) through to the Messianic and observance of a whole mess of things vary depending on what sect a person associates with.

Take the Reform sect. It's based on belief in God but leading a life appropriate to the times he society that you live in provided that you don't break The Big Ten.

People in this country apart from the seriously frum mostly notice that our taste in food is different. For the average Yiddle or secular Yid like me that's down to "vat ve vaz brung up vit".

What our mutter fed us which was usually "continental" nosh. Pickles, smoked fish, egg 'n onion, rye bread, chicken in various forms (usually dead!) - the menu goes on and on and on.

That seemed strange no doubt as must have been the smell of our cooking but underlying it all was tradition. Fried fish in matzo meal, potato latkes, bread that wasn't proper without caraway seeds, it just goes on and on.

So for most Ikey Mo's what mattered most was tradition and while tradition evaporates with time blind ignorant prejudice doesn't.
You may not be aware, but I have no belief in any religion so do not think any God exists. However I do think the ten commandments are good ways to live and a reasonable basis for law.... so chose to follow them most of the time. Once again remember that I have no belief in God but do wish to live in harmony with all humans, from any religion.

Like most people I am horrified by what happened in the Concentration camps, but not because they were Jewish, because they were human beings.

I suppose your taste in food stems from what you are brought up to eat, but do you ever question why you can't just eat anything you like & what religion has to do with what you eat?

You may be right about following tradition influencing clothes & that will certainly die as young people get more freedom of choice.....I just wish I could be sure that the same will happen with Muslims... but I wont hold my breath!
I don't know what causes the prejudice, as I have none, but it may come from people of the same religion living together in communities, because they don't experience how others live.
Over my life I have seen big changes to how whites relate to blacks but we still have further to go till we are all considered equal. I am certain that it would go much better if we stopped allowing ourselves to be put into groups...because we are all the same species! For people of different religions, perhaps the best move would be to stop gathering at different places of worship, and all meet together for a tea/coffee and a chat. Sadly I don't think I will still be here, if that ever happens, because we are all too critical of people who are different to us, in some way!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2019, 05:28 PM

Rather than schlep through the gantse megillah let's stick to some - well things.

To start with a lot of things found to be good things to do were memorialised into religious rites and laws so that their status would be raised an not readily left behind.

The dietary laws are such, though with one or two screw balls. Take the prohibition on eating little piggies. Two reasons for this, firstly pigs are filthy eaters, they'll even eat each other, secondly pigs do carry diseases that affect people. Throw in how quickly pork goes off in hot climates and would you want to risk noshing on a pork chop? Especially a boar. Boar taint gives pork a very unpleasant taste.

Exsanguination. Bleeding out a beast. Two reasons for this, firstly it was noticed that when someone was seriously injured and lost lots of blood they died. Ergo blood contained the soul.

Would you want to eat a soul? OK a Dover sole but that's a bit different. But in addition a skilled shochet could kill a beast with a whole lot less suffering than beating the poor thing around the head with a club or repeatedly stabbing it which was the Egyptian way.

Fleshes und milches? (NEVER ask for butter on a salt beef sarni!). Two reasons. Firstly it seemed unreasonably harsh to "sethe a kid in its monthers milk". Secondly it was the common practice amongst the tribes of people that the Red Sea Pedestrians were passing through and it was important to maintain the identity of the Jewish tribes.

There's so very much behind the "613" that usually make sorta good sense if not now then certainly at the time!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2019, 05:42 PM

We are however no longer in the dark ages.
Pigs no longer carry tapeworm or anything else .
Animals can bleed out while blessedly insensible to pain .
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2019, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
We are however no longer in the dark ages.
Pigs no longer carry tapeworm or anything else .
Animals can bleed out while blessedly insensible to pain .
I do so agree. As for piggies though we don't think twice about eating pork BUT we are very carefully where we buy it from. Never from supermarkets but from a couple of on-line pig and rare breed farms.

As an example a whole suckling pig minus head and feet comes in at around £100 delivered at 10 kg. Not cheap, but superb.

It's worth the money just to watch the memsahib going at it with a cleaver!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2019, 08:24 PM

I don't eat much pork and suckling pig has a distressing resemblance to a newborn child.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top