Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 10:32 AM

Securing your home

As many of you might already know, my neighbour was burgled yesterday and it's really put the wind up me thinking how close to my home it happened.

It has prompted me into getting quotes for a new side fence and gate and I'm also thinking of getting CCTV.

I've been thinking even if we get a new fence, even though its quite high, what's to stop them climbing over it. Perhaps I should get an electric fence!!!!

So my question is, how safe is your home, what safety measures have you gone to to keep it safe.

My door has double locks on it and we have fencing but this isn't enough in this day and age is it.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 10:59 AM

Re: Securing your home

Be careful Queenie, you'd do best to explore the legalities on electric fencing on a domestic property before you go any further.

I hesitate to worry your further, but I'm afraid I always think if some buggers want to get in - they will.
Don't forget, some of these people do it every day for a living! They are skilled and know what they're doing. I am not talking about the opportunist kids here, but the repeat offenders.

They are always telling us to padlock our sheds for example, but they just cut the padlocks off, or break a window and still get in anyway.
This is what my Neighbourhood Watch alerts tell me round here anyway.

I used to feel a whole lot safer when I had several German Shepherds looking after me - and they didn't stop working when there was a power cut either.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Be careful Queenie, you'd do best to explore the legalities on electric fencing on a domestic property before you go any further.

I hesitate to worry your further, but I'm afraid I always think if some buggers want to get in - they will.
Don't forget, some of these people do it every day for a living! They are skilled and know what they're doing. I am not talking about the opportunist kids here, but the repeat offenders.

They are always telling us to padlock our sheds for example, but they just cut the padlocks off, or break a window and still get in anyway.
This is what my Neighbourhood Watch alerts tell me round here anyway.

I used to feel a whole lot safer when I had several German Shepherds looking after me - and they didn't stop working when there was a power cut either.
Awww mups I was only joking about the electric fence, but i know what you are saying, the pigs will get in if they really want to especially the 'professionals'

My Kodi is a good little guard dog, he is only small but his bark is big so I hope that he is some deterrent for potential burglers.

Isn't it horrible how people can make us feel vulnerable, even in our own homes

I could do with a couple of german shepherds, great guard dogs. x
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 11:16 AM

Our home is a corner property which has a brick wall along one side where I grow Pyracantha alongside the wall which is nice to look at and very, very prickly if anyone should attempt to scale the wall - I know that to my cost when I have occasionally pruned it back a bit!

I also have a mortice lock and bottom bolt on my gate which is set into the wall by the garage. The thinking is that even if anyone picked the lock they wouldn't be able to reach the bottom bolt. The gate is set into the wall so they would need a ladder to get over the gate because the wall at that point is quite high.

We have the usual locks and double locks on doors and windows with shatterproof glass too. Plus a burglar alarm. However, I fear that if someone was really determined they would still be able to get in - I live in hopes though that they would not see our home as easy to access and might move on.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

Don't forget, some of these people do it every day for a living! They are skilled and know what they're doing.
Exactly Mups, doesn't matter what we do it's never really enough if they are determined. Someone here in the village was burgled, they had CCTV and a two-metre high fence all round the garden (good for the burglars as they couldn't be seen forcing the patio doors) but guess what they did to get past the fence – lifted a panel up in the post slots, propped it up and crawled underneath!

Even the CCTV was not a lot of good. The thieves were not known to police so all they had from CCTV were more videos of people who are burglars – nobody knows who they are until caught and convicted!

German Shepherds
I had a German Shepherd, she was kennelled but loose to roam outside in the enclosed back garden. A local company serviced a lawnmower for me but wanted to deliver it at a time I was out. I explained about the German Shepherd, the chap said he had them too and was well-used to them. I did warn him it was at his own risk but with the gate unlocked but bolted at the top he delivered the lawnmower OK and left it in the back garden. I telephoned him just to check, he said my German Shepherd was no problem as he knew how to treat them!

All any of us can realistically do is to take all the measures required then ensure we are adequately insured against theft and the damage it can cause!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 01:54 PM

Wouldn't it be great if we could just shoot the b****s and get away with it.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
As many of you might already know, my neighbour was burgled yesterday and it's really put the wind up me thinking how close to my home it happened.

It has prompted me into getting quotes for a new side fence and gate and I'm also thinking of getting CCTV.

I've been thinking even if we get a new fence, even though its quite high, what's to stop them climbing over it. Perhaps I should get an electric fence!!!!

So my question is, how safe is your home, what safety measures have you gone to to keep it safe.

My door has double locks on it and we have fencing but this isn't enough in this day and age is it.
Mups is right - watch the legalities of electric fencing. One place I know that has it is an oil refinery. The electrified part was installed at the top of their 9ft (almost 3 metre) tall double chain link perimeter fence.

Or get a dog. Mups is right about that to. Our hairy burglar alarm is always on duty. And his danger signal bark would wake the dead.
Reminds me, I need to fit the Beware of the Dog sign on our new front door.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 02:05 PM

It really does annoy me that they have to be warned of cameras and dogs, they should be made to find out the hard way.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK

18-07-2019, 02:05 PM

Funny you should say that because i.ve just been thinking how ridiculous it is that if someone enters our home we aren't allowed to batter 'em coz WE'D be the ones locked up. Wrong, just wrong
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK

18-07-2019, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Mups is right - watch the legalities of electric fencing. One place I know that has it is an oil refinery. The electrified part was installed at the top of their 9ft (almost 3 metre) tall double chain link perimeter fence.

Or get a dog. Mups is right about that to. Our hairy burglar alarm is always on duty. And his danger signal bark would wake the dead.
Reminds me, I need to fit the Beware of the Dog sign on our new front door.
I.ve got a dog albeit a small one but he does have a big bark! I wasn't serious about electric fence Bes, but ibeishbi could get one.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top