Join for free
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2019, 09:48 PM

Can anyone name this flowering shrub?

I came across this when walking the dog and wondered if anyone knows what it could be. It's about 1.5 metres tall and covered in these lovely blooms. I am particularly interested because it's unusual to come across a shrub that flowers so beautifully at this time of year. All suggestions are most welcome

Click image for larger version

Name:	flowering shrub.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	10607

Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2019, 10:45 PM

Re: Can anyone name this flowering shrub?

It looks very much like my Hibiscus, Annie.

AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2019, 11:16 PM

wow Mags! That is a perfect match! Except yours is bloomingly lovelier

Is there a reason that we don't see many of these around? First time I've seen this particular plant and I'm sure I've walked past that house at this time of year before. It looks mature so I'm surprised I didn't notice it.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2019, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
wow Mags! That is a perfect match! Except yours is bloomingly lovelier

Is there a reason that we don't see many of these around? First time I've seen this particular plant and I'm sure I've walked past that house at this time of year before. It looks mature so I'm surprised I didn't notice it.
I'm not sure Annie, come to think of it I haven't seen any in the gardens in my area. Mine is over 10 years old now, I cut it back last year as it was getting too tall. It started flowering in July and there are still masses of buds to open throughout September.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2019, 11:34 PM

That's a pretty Hibiscus you've got there, Mags.
A garden in the next road to me has got a big blue one, but I do like yours.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

01-09-2019, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
That's a pretty Hibiscus you've got there, Mags.
A garden in the next road to me has got a big blue one, but I do like yours.
Thank Mups, I think this one is called Starburst Chiffon. I bet the blue one near you looks lovely.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2019, 10:01 AM

Got a couple of those in our caravan garden sadly not doing too well, they seem to prefer a heavier soil as they do really well here on clay but aren't enjoying our chalky sandy lighter soil where we are trying to grow them.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Got a couple of those in our caravan garden sadly not doing too well, they seem to prefer a heavier soil as they do really well here on clay but aren't enjoying our chalky sandy lighter soil where we are trying to grow them.

Hi Julie, funny you should say that about your Hibiscus, as I have just been reading a letter sent up to my gardening mag. about this - (not you, was it?

The reader asked why her 2 Hibiscus had never flowered, even though they'd been in the ground for about 5 years.

The Experts reply was as follows
:

"Failure to flower is quite common with woody plants, it is is often easy to remedy once the cause is known.

How is the leafy growth on them
?
Poor leaf growth suggests the plant is growing in the wrong place with the wrong conditions. Moving it will be the best solution.

However, lush leafy growth can be caused by over feeding with high-nitrogen fertilisers, and will be at the expense of the flowers.
If this is the case, you could try6 to redress the balance with a late summer feed of sulphate of potash to help this year's wood to mature and encourage the production of flowers.
Next spring, feed just once with a slow-release general purpose fertiliser.

Another problem could be the light levels. Hibiscus does best in full sun and a sheltered position.
Plants that need full sun rarely flower to their full potential in shade or even partial shade.

Hibiscus needs a long, hot summer to flower well. In cool summers, or on North and East-facing sites, they may struggle to flower."

So there you go. Perhaps that's some help, Julie?

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top