Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2019, 10:07 AM

Protests and petitions

Do they work? have there been any instances we can think of where 20,000 people on a march or 100,000 signatures on a form handed to No.10 have ever made a difference?

I do realise that after there have been submitted a certain number of people's names on a form it has to then go through parliament, but do we see changes? Does the government ever listen to the people who have voted for them?

Have you noticed or witnessed any positive results from petition signing or protest events?
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2019, 10:45 AM

Re: Protests and petitions

Don't think so Floydy, It's their way or your hard luck I think.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2019, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Don't think so Floydy, It's their way or your hard luck I think.
That's their philosophy unfortunately, Roxy.
The views of the people are wrong, they are right.

I wonder then, why does everything go wrong that the government touch?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2019, 11:32 AM

They banned foxhunting. I'm sure animal welfare standards have improved over the years because of constant pressure from groups. They have also developed cruelty-free make up because of this. Environmentally friendly movements were down to pressure groups. Racism was countered by protest and pressure groups. Just a few off the top of my head.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2019, 11:43 AM

Women's Right to Vote:

https://theconversation.com/how-17-0...or-women-91093

In the 50 years before women gained the vote in 1918, almost 17,000 petitions for women’s suffrage were sent to the House of Commons, containing over 3.3m signatures. Other petitions were sent to the House of Lords, the king, and the prime minister.

Most people know about the famous examples of suffragette activity, such as window breaking and street demonstrations. By contrast, petitions show a different side of the campaign: the patient, behind the scenes activity that helped deliver votes for women.

The suffrage campaign was, itself, founded by a petition signed by over 1,500 women, including leading activists Barbara Bodichon and Emily Davies. This was presented to the House of Commons by the liberal philosopher John Stuart Mill on June 7 1866.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2019, 01:14 PM

Poll tax riots had an effect many protests do eventually work. It really depends on the political parties though as I do wonder if Mrs T had been more popular in her party if the poll tax riots would have worked so well.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2019, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Poll tax riots had an effect many protests do eventually work. It really depends on the political parties though as I do wonder if Mrs T had been more popular in her party if the poll tax riots would have worked so well.
Now that's a good example and I should have remembered the violent opposition to the Council Tax as I was working in local government at the time, implementing computer systems for Housing Benefits and Council Tax.

March 31, 1990

http://home.bt.com/news/on-this-day/...11363971893271

At least 100,000 people marched from Kennington Park to Trafalgar Square to demonstrate against the new tax, which would come into operation in England and Wales the following week having been in place in Scotland since the year before.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2019, 02:01 PM

And if campaigns runs long enough and hard enough, they can win the day.

Labour MPs and people from all political persuasions fought the Tory Government for 7 years to stop the closure of Charing Cross Hospital in W. London. A high-rise block on a sizeable prime site is much sought after by developers.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

24-09-2019, 02:15 PM

Since I'm a countryside walker, I should have thought of the Kinder Scout Mass Trespass sooner:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_t...itical_effects

The Mass Trespass of Kinder Scout was an act of wilful trespass by ramblers and members of the Young Communist League. It was undertaken at Kinder Scout, in the Peak District of Derbyshire, England, on the 24th of April 1932, to highlight the fact that walkers in England and Wales were denied access to areas of open country.

This act of civil disobedience was one of the most successful in British history. It arguably led to the passage of the National Parks legislation in 1949 which addressed public rights of way and access to open land.
A small start to an activity which is now, in some way or other, enjoyed by millions.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2019, 02:47 PM

They work, so long as they want them to work. If it improves their popularity, they will listen, band wagons and all that.

It's the same with political debates on TV, I'm sure no one's mind has ever been changed by arguing about politics but if it's a subject they can cling onto to be more popular, then they will adopt it.

In the end, they will do whatever they want to do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top