Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2019, 10:44 PM

Rain Butts

Not sure if this has been a thread here before. I'm thinking of getting a couple of rain butts to be eco friendly but not sure what to look for or whether there are any good brands that others would recommend.

Also does this mean you permanently damage the drainpipe? Or can the butt safely be removed and the hole in said pipe filled if you change your mind?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2019, 10:48 PM

Re: Rain Butts

Realspeed is your expert, Annie:
https://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=63097
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2019, 11:11 PM

Hi Annie

Mine was already here when we bought the place

I think this video shows better than I can

you need to make sure the adapter is the right one for your downpipe be it square or round, also something for the butt to sit on so you can get a watering can underneath .
I added a bit of hose to the outlet to make things a bit easier for us

AS my downpipe was off the side of my workshop the downpipe only went down part way so a run off pipe was needed as here is no drain where it is situated

my setup

AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2019, 11:36 PM

Thanks realspeed, but crikey that looks complicated. We will have to get someone in to do it. Plus it doesn't look like you can change your mind either!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

10-10-2019, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Realspeed is your expert, Annie:
https://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=63097
Thanks - this is a real eye opener. I didn't realise rain butts were so complicated. They take up quite a bit of room too so not easy to work out where to place one as almost all the down pipes round the back are on the path at the side of the house where there's not much room. I was thinking it would be good to put one in the front garden so it's easy to fill up a watering can there rather than having to carry it all the way. But I don't think I've seen any in that location on other houses.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2019, 07:03 AM

You can buy water butts that collect rain from the guttering, with the adapter on the butt already in place..I have a small one,..all I had to do was buy an adapter for the down pipe,which I bought in wilko,..if you want to change it,just buy another down pipe..easy peasy...I am very pleased with mine...but it does fill up very quickly,because of it being on the small side...I,will post a pic later if you like.

Edit to add..forgot to say,that you saw the down pipe off,where you want it,then attach the down pipe adapter to the pipe...go on YouTube,Annie.then you can see how it's done.

This butt that I have,not only has saved me money,but the rain water is much better for the garden,plus my small ponds...highly reccomend .
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2019, 09:39 AM

Annie if you go ahead with the rain butts I would go for ones with lids. They can be a breeding ground for mosquito larvae.
If it doesn't have a lid add a little vegetable cooking oil to form a film on the top (it stops the larvae breathing)
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2019, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Thanks - this is a real eye opener. I didn't realise rain butts were so complicated. They take up quite a bit of room too so not easy to work out where to place one as almost all the down pipes round the back are on the path at the side of the house where there's not much room. I was thinking it would be good to put one in the front garden so it's easy to fill up a watering can there rather than having to carry it all the way. But I don't think I've seen any in that location on other houses.
No AnnieS, its not complicated at all! Everything is plastic and
Usually just clicks or pushes together like most plumbing products
nowadays, you probably dont even need any power tools at all?
You can also get different shapes and sizes to fit into odd corners
of your garden!
I would advise you get the largest size you can fit in and make
sure it stands on a base for your water can to fit under and does
not protrude above your gutter!!
Keep your gutters clean and fit a grill over gutter outlet at the top!
You will find you can handle the jobbyourself as everything is
lightweight and can be cut with a hacksaw blade!
Best of luck with this, it is worthwhile to do!!!
Regards Donkeyman!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2019, 01:11 PM

We found proper rain buts rather expensive so we bought three big plastic bins and drilled a hole in the lid for the down pipe and we fitted a tap low down on one and the other we dip the watering can in the top. Cost less than one water but for three we did like that. Might get another two next spring to take the water off the shed that would mean we had water at the bottom of the garden so less carrying heavy cans around.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

12-10-2019, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Annie if you go ahead with the rain butts I would go for ones with lids. They can be a breeding ground for mosquito larvae.
If it doesn't have a lid add a little vegetable cooking oil to form a film on the top (it stops the larvae breathing)
Thanks Meg I will definitely look at those with covers. I'll bet you can end up with a few frogs too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top