Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2019, 07:31 PM

Re: Ink cartridges

Im thinking of buying a printer but was considering buying an Epson that has 3 separate colour carts and a black so if 1 colour runs low you just replace that colour. I also have seen sites that do compatible Epson carts much cheaper as well.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2019, 08:01 PM

I have a canon colour printer, the branded cartriges cost more to buy than the printer so I buy the cheap cartridges off Amazon and they serve the purpose.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2019, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I have a canon colour printer, the branded cartriges cost more to buy than the printer so I buy the cheap cartridges off Amazon and they serve the purpose.
That is a very common tactic by the printer manufacturers.
They sell the printers cheaply, but the included cartridges contain very little ink, only enough in fact to get you to like the printer.
Then you have to buy their new cartridges which contain the full amount of ink!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2019, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
That is a very common tactic by the printer manufacturers.
They sell the printers cheaply, but the included cartridges contain very little ink, only enough in fact to get you to like the printer.
Then you have to buy their new cartridges which contain the full amount of ink!
Yes JB 'a sprat to catch a mackerel ' that is how they make their money...
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2019, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
Im thinking of buying a printer but was considering buying an Epson that has 3 separate colour carts and a black so if 1 colour runs low you just replace that colour. I also have seen sites that do compatible Epson carts much cheaper as well.
This sounds good to me, Mondays Child. I'll look into buying an Epson printer and price things uo. Thanks
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2019, 10:57 AM

i have had my Epson XP-950 ( now is the 960) for years. Takes 6 colour cartridges and also will print up to A3 size but is still the size of an A4 printer.

Then drawback is the price of genuine carts. if doing a lot of printing then getting a continuous flow kit would be worth it that can be topped up

One thing often overlooked is what you see one a monitor is not the same on a hard copy. one is backlit and the hard copy isn't, so a bit of calibration may be needed by using the printer
colour management
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2019, 12:10 PM

I still have an Epson A3 printer, but we haven't used it for a few years now. We have found A3 size useful, but haven't found the need now since we both retired/

It was very good and reliable, but it's going to need a good cleaning now. I'm sure the ink jets must be bunged up and they're going to be a job and a half to clean, even if possible.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2019, 12:21 PM

I still have an Epson A3 printer, but we haven't used it for a few years now. We have found A3 size useful, but haven't found the need now since we both retired/

It was very good and reliable, but it's going to need a good cleaning now. I'm sure the ink jets must be bunged up and they're going to be a job and a half to clean, even if possible.
IMO, attempting to resurrect a defunct printer is probably a time-consuming and pointless task - I tried it once but, after hours of getting nowhere, ended up buying a new printer.

The next time a printer started to malfunction, I took it into a computer repair shop - their advice was "Scrap it and buy a new one off the internet" .....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

08-11-2019, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
IMO, attempting to resurrect a defunct printer is probably a time-consuming and pointless task - I tried it once but, after hours of getting nowhere, ended up buying a new printer.

The next time a printer started to malfunction, I took it into a computer repair shop - their advice was "Scrap it and buy a new one off the internet" .....
I'm sure you're right. However, we still have some unused cartridges for that printer and don't want to waste them as I'm unlikely to find a new printer that takes the same cartridges!

I understand you can buy head cleaner cartridges, so I might try that first.

Or I might just leave the thing alone as we don't really need it now! Marge keeps telling me to throw it out, but I don't like to throw things away.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2019, 01:25 PM

I'm sure you're right. However, we still have some unused cartridges for that printer and don't want to waste them as I'm unlikely to find a new printer that takes the same cartridges!

I understand you can buy head cleaner cartridges, so I might try that first.

Or I might just leave the thing alone as we don't really need it now! Marge keeps telling me to throw it out, but I don't like to throw things away.
If you have the time then a "tinkering" might work but don't let it become an obsession .....

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top