Join for free
Page 23 of 505 « First < 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 73 123 > Last »
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2020, 12:58 PM

Re: Chinese Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Am l being pedantic or did l see the bus drivers of the convoy that
took the returning tourists from their aircraft to the isolation
hospital had no protection from getting infected by their passengers?
What will happen on monday when they pick up the schoolkids
for school, or take a load of pensioners to another town or city??
Maybe l was seeing things??
Just asking??
Donkeyman!
No you were not ,I wondered exactly the same thing when I saw that scene .
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2020, 01:26 PM

It may have been considered a safety hazard for them to drive in a spacesuit, but you'd have thought they would have taken people in army vehicles with glassed off driver compartments rather than a normal coach. The four horsemen indeed.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2020, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Have to agree Swims the more I read about it the more I'm convinced it's a massive over reaction . Unless of course we are not being told the whole truth.
A massive over reaction? That must be a comforting thought as you look at all the news coming in from all over the world .
Have you thought on who the two tourists taken from the York hotel might have infected since they landed in the UK and how many they in turn might have passed the virus on to ?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2020, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
A massive over reaction?
Have you thought on who the two tourists taken from the York hotel might have infected since they landed in the UK and how many they in turn might have passed the virus on to ?

That is what the "R0" or R Naught ratiio is all about.

When the SARS scare was about some years ago the SARS virus began with an R0 of 3 which meant that everyone with SARS was infecting 3 other people. They later got that ratio down to an R0 of just 0.4.

The SARS scare was just that. A scare which only affected a tiny tiny % of the global population.

This Coronavirus is STARTING OUT with an R0 of just 1.5

It is thus way way less of a concern than SARS was and they are already undertaking very significant actions to curtail any further spread so you can expect that the R0 for Coronavirus will soon be much lower.

The truth is very much that this entire episode has been hyped up beyond all proportion for very deliberate reasons.
The virus has a low R0 and even when people do get the virus 97% of people deal with it quite normally and recover well.

You should be more concerned about getting pneumonia or any of a number of other everday condition which kill THOUSANDS every year. Coronavirus has only killed just over 100 people and doubtless many of those were already old and infirm people with poor immune systems who might just as easily have died from a cold or flu.

It's all a storm in a teacup which will blow over very soon.

Be more worried about why it happened in the first place and where it came from imo.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2020, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
the SARS scare was just that. A scare which only affected a tiny tiny % of the global population.

This Coronavirus is STARTING OUT with an R0 of just 1.5

It's 2.5 -3 according to reports I've seen including the initial Imperial study reported on the radio. They are still collecting information, but hopefully the transmission rate will fall over time as people take precautions and eventually it will die out. All such outbreaks can be contained in managed effectively with good team work and a sensible approach.

I take it you aren't planning to expose yourself to this in order to boost your immunity as you've advised us to do previously with other bugs?
Zuleika
North West UK

01-02-2020, 02:28 PM

Realist I watched the ITV programme about it the other night in which there were two guys from the UK speaking directly from Wuhan living and working out there , not old people,infirm with poor immune systems who said they had decided they were definitely leaving for good.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2020, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
It's 2.5 -3 according to reports I've seen including the initial Imperial study reported on the radio.

Reports cary.

The WorldHealth Organisation puts it thus:

"Human-to-human transmission is occurring and a preliminary R0 estimate of 1.4-2.5 was presented"

https://www.who.int/news-room/detail...rus-(2019-ncov)

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I take it you aren't planning to expose yourself to this in order to boost your immunity as you've advised us to do previously with other bugs?

Moronic statement

What I have always advised people to do is ensure their own immune systems are in tip top condition by eating the right foods, staying away from toxic foods and staying away from proven uesless vaccinations. I've also highlighted numerous times the importance of allowing your body to run it's natural fever cycle which is a prime defense mechanism and not to take paracetamols, neurofens or aspirins which force a fever down.

I'm not worried about getting the virus. 97% of people deal with it perfectly happily. I have antiviral natural medications if necessary and plenty of herbs of varying kinds. But thanks for your concern.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2020, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Am l being pedantic or did l see the bus drivers of the convoy that
took the returning tourists from their aircraft to the isolation
hospital had no protection from getting infected by their passengers?
What will happen on monday when they pick up the schoolkids
for school, or take a load of pensioners to another town or city??

Maybe l was seeing things??
Just asking??
Donkeyman!

No, you did not imagine it at all Donkeyman.
I just heard on the news as I was driving home that the WHO advised those coach drivers that no protection was necessary, as it was 'Low Risk.'

The coach has since been disinfected with special virus stuff.

I must ask this though - How come they felt the need to disinfect the entire coach, yet not offer the poor drivers any protection???

If I was a driver, I would have refused to do it, and if I lost my job then so be it.

Incidentally, it also said today that one of the two sick people was a student from York University.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2020, 03:40 PM

The SARS scare was just that. A scare which only affected a tiny tiny % of the global population.

The virus has a low R0 and even when people do get the virus 97% of people deal with it quite normally and recover well.
A tiny % of the global population ? 1% of the global population would be aprox 70,000,000 people.

If 97 % of the people handled it very well that mans 3 % would be sickened unto death. That is 2,100,000 dead. I'd say that was plenty of reason to take extreme measures to isolate and control the coronavirus.
In the U.S., with only 5 known cases, already there has been one proven person-to-person transmission.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

01-02-2020, 07:03 PM

Reports cary.

The WorldHealth Organisation puts it thus:

"Human-to-human transmission is occurring and a preliminary R0 estimate of 1.4-2.5 was presented"

https://www.who.int/news-room/detail...rus-(2019-ncov)
Your link doesn't work, but a) you said 1.5 and b) other research teams have since come up with a higher estimate. It is likely to change over the course of the outbreak and let's hope it does come down.

Moronic statement

What I have always advised people to do is ensure their own immune systems are in tip top condition by eating the right foods, staying away from toxic foods and staying away from proven uesless vaccinations. I've also highlighted numerous times the importance of allowing your body to run it's natural fever cycle which is a prime defense mechanism and not to take paracetamols, neurofens or aspirins which force a fever down.

I'm not worried about getting the virus. 97% of people deal with it perfectly happily. I have antiviral natural medications if necessary and plenty of herbs of varying kinds. But thanks for your concern.
I take it that's a "no"?

Page 23 of 505 « First < 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 73 123 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top