Join for free
Page 4 of 46 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2021, 10:55 PM

Re: Sarah Everard

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
It's a tragic event, but statistics at this UK government site show that 73% of homicide victims are male and 27% are female.

Women are statistically at much less risk than men, with 506 male homicides and 188 female homicides, but male homicides seem to pass without much comment. Why does it take the tragic death of a woman to make people sit up and pay attention to the situation?
That's an interesting point. Perhaps the girl's occupation might be some part of this and that of the criminal.

Whatever, it is a tragedy.
Suedonim
UK
Suedonim is female 

11-03-2021, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
It's a tragic event, but statistics at this UK government site show that 73% of homicide victims are male and 27% are female.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...ndingmarch2020

Women are statistically at much less risk than men, with 506 male homicides and 188 female homicides, but male homicides seem to pass without much comment. Why does it take the tragic death of a woman to make people sit up and pay attention to the situation?

What is the most common factor in the murders of both men and women?

That the murderers are men.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2021, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Susan, l think he was only being watched when he became a suspect. I read, they let him keep his firearm as they didn’t want to make him become suspicious that he was under surveillance.
Thank you Art

Heartbreaking isnt it . I feel such sadness as our world needs much love now
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2021, 01:30 AM

I've been trying to work out why this case is such big news. Every week for years friends have posted missing persons in their regions on facebook. Not just the UK but friends abroad. Usually very young people.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2021, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by Suedonim ->
What is the most common factor in the murders of both men and women?

That the murderers are men.
Yes that's what's in the news today. Am I the only one who thinks this all bizarre?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

12-03-2021, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Its such a tragic thing to happen, and my heart goes to the family. What shocked me too, was the wife/partner of the guy covering up for him? I'm sorry, but I will never understand that misplaced loyalty.
Every death is tragic.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2021, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Yes that's what's in the news today. Am I the only one who thinks this all bizarre?
Yes it's strange how events in the UK and the world, where millions of people are dying daily, have been pushed aside to make room for this unfortunate incident. I have the greatest of sympathy for the girl and her family, but it does seem like it's attracting more than it's fair share of media activity.

Has it been deliberately exaggerated to produce bad feeling toward the police, as in the case of George Floyd.
Stand by for the racist connection....
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2021, 11:14 AM

Can't argue with the fact that another such crime has been committed by a bloke.

That's understood, and there must be much more prevention, more police, more whatever is needed.

On the other hand, the media is hammering away at the idea that the victim is in no way at fault.

I think that needs a little consideration, as well.

Surely, we should be allowed to suggest that walking home, late at night, maybe with an expensive mobile phone, in one's hand, then taking a short cut, across a Park, etc., is an obvious build up of risks!?

Time for reminders at Schools?

1) Never walk home alone, especially after dark.
2) If walking, even as a group, avoid areas "off the main street"
3) If you do have a mobile phone, in hand, keep connected to Someone (Mum?) as you walk.

Animals have fright triggers, which might stop them taking risks, Humans need to get used to the idea that an attack is very possible & how should they prepare for it.

Many seem to assume that "It won't happen to Me"

Finally, any offender should be taken off the streets for several years, not let back out there as it is suggested that this one was.

Just an opinion!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2021, 11:20 AM

We have all been chatting away about this case... but what happens if the human remains that have been found are not Sarah’s and he is innocent of murder?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2021, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Can't argue with the fact that another such crime has been committed by a bloke.

That's understood, and there must be much more prevention, more police, more whatever is needed.

On the other hand, the media is hammering away at the idea that the victim is in no way at fault.

I think that needs a little consideration, as well.

Surely, we should be allowed to suggest that walking home, late at night, maybe with an expensive mobile phone, in one's hand, then taking a short cut, across a Park, etc., is an obvious build up of risks!?

Time for reminders at Schools?

1) Never walk home alone, especially after dark.
2) If walking, even as a group, avoid areas "off the main street"
3) If you do have a mobile phone, in hand, keep connected to Someone (Mum?) as you walk.

Animals have fright triggers, which might stop them taking risks, Humans need to get used to the idea that an attack is very possible & how should they prepare for it.

Many seem to assume that "It won't happen to Me"

Finally, any offender should be taken off the streets for several years, not let back out there as it is suggested that this one was.

Just an opinion!
Good post Ted, you wouldn't find me walking anywhere late at night round London, or Doncaster come to think of it, let alone in an unlit park. People should take more responsibility for their safety.

Page 4 of 46 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top