Join for free
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2021, 01:52 PM

Transferring apps from old computer to new one

Hi,
I need some advice and hope that someone can help.

My laptop is becoming less reliable and I've decided to invest in a new one.
I have Office installation discs, but I cannot find any for Photoshop Elements and TurboCAD, yet I have legal copies on the old laptop.

Is there some way I can transfer those from the old computer to the new one?
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2021, 02:07 PM

Re: Transferring apps from old computer to new one

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Hi,
I need some advice and hope that someone can help.

My laptop is becoming less reliable and I've decided to invest in a new one.
I have Office installation discs, but I cannot find any for Photoshop Elements and TurboCAD, yet I have legal copies on the old laptop.

Is there some way I can transfer those from the old computer to the new one?
JBR,

I'd start by printing off the info in Belarc Advisor, for your old PC..

That should present you with the installation keys for all of the apps loaded there.

Then download, and install, the latest versions. on the new PC assuming that they can still be found on line, otherwise use your installation disks.

Another option would be to create a Clone of your Drive using something like Easus, then just pop the new clone into the new PC and try that.

Some people try copying one PC to the new one but they are likely to get themselves up the creek with no paddle because of the differences in the Registries, etc.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2021, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
JBR,

I'd start by printing off the info in Belarc Advisor, for your old PC..

That should present you with the installation keys for all of the apps loaded there.

Then download, and install, the latest versions. on the new PC assuming that they can still be found on line, otherwise use your installation disks.

Another option would be to create a Clone of your Drive using something like Easus, then just pop the new clone into the new PC and try that.

Some people try copying one PC to the new one but they are likely to get themselves up the creek with no paddle because of the differences in the Registries, etc.
I'd agree with all that .....

Belarc will provide the basis for a plan - what to keep, what to discard and the order in which to install on the new PC.

There are lots of articles on what to do with a new PC:

Got a New PC? 11 Things to Do Right Away

https://uk.pcmag.com/laptops/11321/g...-do-right-away

How to set up a new Windows 10 PC perfectly in one hour or less

https://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to...-hour-or-less/

How to transfer data from an old PC to a new PC

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-t...-old-pc-new-pc

For applications, I always obtain the latest versions of my preferred software but, in all cases, latest or old version, I always re-install and never copy.
Roj Blake
London,UK
Roj Blake is male 

27-07-2021, 04:05 PM

Hi JBR

Before you do anything.Back up the data on your hard drive photos,music etc to an external HDD or to the cloud.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2021, 03:25 PM

Thank you all for your advice.
Several things worth trying here.
I'll work through them as soon as I get the new computer. Hopefully tomorrow, though Marge insists it's a birthday present so I shouldn't be having it until next week!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2021, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Thank you all for your advice.
Several things worth trying here.
I'll work through them as soon as I get the new computer. Hopefully tomorrow, though Marge insists it's a birthday present so I shouldn't be having it until next week!
You know where to come if you have a problem - there's at least half-a-dozen IT-tuned brains here .....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

28-07-2021, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
You know where to come if you have a problem - there's at least half-a-dozen IT-tuned brains here .....
Yes. This is always my 'one stop shop' whenever I need computer advice!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top