Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Stella H is female  Stella H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2014, 11:53 AM

Slow Cookers

Having never had one of these and seriously thinking of getting one, could someone advise me please on which size to get. I need one for the 2 of us but large enough to cook a joint of beef or ham joint in.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2014, 02:00 PM

Re: Slow Cookers

Questions-do you need one? will your oven not do? Mine went in the skip(hardly used) as I de-cluttered prior to moving. I`m keeping my ice cream maker though-one day I may even use it???
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2014, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
Questions-do you need one? will your oven not do? Mine went in the skip(hardly used) as I de-cluttered prior to moving. I`m keeping my ice cream maker though-one day I may even use it???
Agree I had one once (a christmas present) and chucked it better results from using an earthenware casserole dish in my top grill/oven.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2014, 04:09 PM

I had one years ago too, and also chucked mine. But they have improved so much now as my old one didn't even have a lift out bowl part so it was dodgy trying to wash it without the electric plug but getting wet, silly thing.
I too, have thought about getting another now though, but I'd get quite a big one as I batch cook instead of fiddling about with one meal at a time.
On the other hand, as OG says, I wonder if its any different to putting it in the normal oven on a very, low heat. Can't decide.
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Stella H is female  Stella H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2014, 04:10 PM

Oh dear, now I'm in a quandary, but thank you all.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2014, 04:13 PM

I had a slow cooker for Christmas a few years ago ..... used it once only, much prefer my oven
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk

15-10-2014, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I had a slow cooker for Christmas a few years ago ..... used it once only, much prefer my oven
Oh dear. Thanks Mags.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2014, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Stella H ->
Having never had one of these and seriously thinking of getting one, could someone advise me please on which size to get. I need one for the 2 of us but large enough to cook a joint of beef or ham joint in.
We decided to try a slow cooker about 18 months ago and at this time of the year we will be using it again soon.

We thought that things slow-cooked in one pot tasted much better and we have a 1.5 litre one now which is enough for the two of us.

They actually are pretty cheap now but beware of those with short leads as some are far too short so the cord's stretched across the worktop.

We looked around online first then checked out reviews before we bought ours - an "own-brand" in Wilkinsons and ended up getting MIL one too after she had a slow-cooked meal at our house!

Have a look at this too Stella: -

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...eat-sheet.html
stevmk2
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2014, 06:28 PM

Well I'll buck the trend here. I have had one for years and love it. I don't use it for joints, though, but for stews, casseroles etc. I'm not sure but I think it is cheaper than slow cooking in an oven, and it is certainly great for doing large quantities of stuff to freeze in smaller portions. And once switched on I can just forget it for a few hours.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2014, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Well I'll buck the trend here. I have had one for years and love it. I don't use it for joints, though, but for stews, casseroles etc. I'm not sure but I think it is cheaper than slow cooking in an oven, and it is certainly great for doing large quantities of stuff to freeze in smaller portions. And once switched on I can just forget it for a few hours.
Me too orangutan so I just looked it up.

The Centre for Sustainable Energy (www.cse.org.uk) estimates the average electricity usage of an electric oven between 2-2.2kWh, while a microwave uses between 0.6-1.5kWh.
A slow cooker uses approximately 0.7kWh over the eight hours. stevmk2

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top