Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2014, 04:54 PM

Re: Why did I leave Shetland?

So lovely, I agree with the comments about the light, and there must have been a wonderful feeling of freedom and open spaces.
I think the lack of facilities and the extreme weather would get to me too, having lived in a remote country area I know how that feels.
Probably the best of both worlds would be having a place in a lovely remote area to escape to when you get fed up of suburbia.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2014, 05:53 PM

Aye it's a beautiful spot,but a tough Life which I think You have to be born to..Hope You still have Friends there You can visit when the Weather's fine.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2014, 08:04 PM

A place on my list to visit - hopefully next year!
BoyRacer
Scotland,UK
BoyRacer is male  BoyRacer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2014, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
A place on my list to visit - hopefully next year!
Depending on the time of year you intend to visit, you'll get the Puffins down at Sumburgh Head in May, Simmer Dim in mid summer (it never goes completely dark). Unst is very nice. St Ninians Isle and Eshaness are both must visits.

Plenty of things to see in Lerwick as well, the museum is great
Eating out the Grand on Commercial street has lovely food and good value. Monty's Bistro is also very nice, but quite expensive. For Chinese try the Golden Coach
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2014, 09:50 PM

Well BR you never had views like that in Stockport
braveheart
Edinburgh
braveheart is male  braveheart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2014, 10:05 PM

Great photos and an interesting story.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2014, 12:32 AM

Beautiful photos of what looks like a lovely place.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2014, 07:21 AM

Very popular area with birders at this time of year great chances of seeing rare species, also good for cetaceans. If or when i win the Euromillions i would think about moving there.
BoyRacer
Scotland,UK
BoyRacer is male  BoyRacer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2014, 09:25 AM

Thank you Braveheart, Clumsy and Nom.

There were always birders around. When I lived in Wester Quarff the nearest house (around 100 metres away) was surrounded in trees and at a particular time of year there were always dozen of birders around there. House was sold earlier this year when the old lady died, so I don't know whether the trees will survive

Nom some of the more outlying areas and outer islands still have cheap houses, but prices around Lerwick and Sullom Voe (the oil terminal) are shooting up mainly due to supply. Rentals are also astronomical. I was actually 'homeless' for a couple of months at the end of 2010, because there were no affordable rentals. Fortunately I worked for the NHS and they put me up in the visiting doctors accommodation until I could get somewhere. Visiting doctors had to be put up in hotels during the two months.
Property price inflation is mainly due to lease/rental companies snapping up the houses and locals not being able to compete with offer prices and then not being able to afford rental prices, because they are being leased to oil companies and their workers. It's got much worse since 2010 and a lot of the easily accessible, affordable houses are in a poor state of repair
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Stella H is female  Stella H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2014, 01:37 PM

Do they still have these Shetland sheepdogs there? They are supposed to originate from the Shetland Isles.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top