Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2014, 12:50 PM

Visiting the dead

Do any of you go visiting your dead relatives,to put flowers on their graves? If you dont. Do you feel guilty at all ?
Ive not been to my fathers grave for a couple of years now,he's been gone 22 years,its an hours drive away ,i still think of him ,yesterday was his birthday and he would have been 89 .
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2014, 12:57 PM

Re: Visiting the dead

I used to visit my gran's grave, but haven't done so in a long time. Time goes on and they tend to live more in your memory. Burials don't seem to happen so much these days. It's mainly cremations I attend which is what I want for myself. Don't feel guilty. You've no need.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

Yes, I still visit the grave of my parents regularly. Dad died in 2005 in July. His birthday was in March. Mum was born in December, and died in October.

I went to the grave on Thursday just gone, the 2nd anniversary of her death, though she was in a coma from 12 September. I think my niece went nearer the Sep anniv and placed some flowers there.

I always plant kisses on the top of the stone, and say hello and goodbye!

Sometimes my brother goes but my older sister rarely comes this way and I presume she remembers in her own way. Younger sister probably visits too. She scattered the ashes of her boyfriend at Southsea after he died in November, now 3 years ago, and she and her children go down there to remember him, though he isn't interred anywhere.

So my answer is, yes, all the time. They are only about 20-25 minutes drive away.
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Stella H is female  Stella H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

I visit my mother's grave 3 times a year - Xmas, her birthday and Mother's day. I place flowers on there.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2014, 01:58 PM

I remember saying something about this subject recently Eliza, that simple fact is I never could see the point of visiting a dreary old graveyard just to stare at a tiny plot of ground, the empty shell is buried there not the person, I have not visited my mothers or fathers graves since they were buried and it never bothered me, all my memories of them are at home with me in my head and when I remember the funny things I laugh, now wouldn't I look totally out of my head if I was standing alone at a graveside laughing.
I know my wife would come to my graveside frequently when I die and for that reason and to save her the trouble I decided to starve the maggots and opted for cremation, then she can carry me around or stick me on the mantlepiece if she likes.
I think it's up to the individual really, whatever makes you feel comfortable, some folks love to visit their dead loved ones final resting place and place flowers on the grave, good luck to them, as I said I just don't believe in that.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2014, 02:08 PM

If I could remember where the thing was buried I would go and piss on it-no guilt what soever-bad parents bring no respect
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Stella H is female  Stella H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2014, 02:15 PM

Oh sorry Old Git but that made me laugh.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2014, 02:26 PM

Good for you-from pain comes laughter
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2014, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
If I could remember where the thing was buried I would go and piss on it-no guilt what soever-bad parents bring no respect
Og it just shows you that we don't always have to respect the dead. Sometimes they just haven't earned it. Nothing worse than being a hypocrite to someone you knew to be a traitor. You can't always excuse someone's behaviour.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2014, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I remember saying something about this subject recently Eliza, that simple fact is I never could see the point of visiting a dreary old graveyard just to stare at a tiny plot of ground, the empty shell is buried there not the person, I have not visited my mothers or fathers graves since they were buried and it never bothered me, all my memories of them are at home with me in my head and when I remember the funny things I laugh, now wouldn't I look totally out of my head if I was standing alone at a graveside laughing.
I know my wife would come to my graveside frequently when I die and for that reason and to save her the trouble I decided to starve the maggots and opted for cremation, then she can carry me around or stick me on the mantlepiece if she likes.
I think it's up to the individual really, whatever makes you feel comfortable, some folks love to visit their dead loved ones final resting place and place flowers on the grave, good luck to them, as I said I just don't believe in that.
Perfect post Jem - the spirit has moved on, the shell is left behind. They are always in our hearts and thinking of them brings them closer.
It is up to the individual of course .......

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top