Join for free
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Stella H is female  Stella H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2014, 09:23 PM

Root Canal treatment

Have any of you had this done? My dentist has said I need it done on one of my teeth but I have heard bad stories about it. I am seriously thinking of refusing and opting for an extraction. Anyone had experience of this please?
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2014, 09:47 PM

Re: Root Canal treatment

Yes twice, without an injection, as the tooth goes numb (in my case). Cleanliness is paramount. Make sure your mouth is spotless beforehand. The dentist will drill into the root, then proceed with reamers to clear out the soft tissue in the root. Than a plug is inserted which sanitises the tooth and root. In my case I went back after a week to have the plug removed, sniff it, and if there is no infection, he will fill it - job done. The dentists in my cases both made sure my spittle didn't invade the site.

If you have the tooth extracted, then a denture?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2014, 10:24 PM

Yes I have had it a number of times when I had crowns fitted.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2014, 12:28 AM

You might find this thread interesting Stella

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=8461
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Stella H is female  Stella H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2014, 09:03 AM

Thanks everyone and especially Azz for that very helpful link. I've just had a phone call to say my appointment for the dentist is tomorrow morning. I am definitely opting for an extraction! My son had root canal work a couple of years ago and developed an horrendously painful abscess - this is one of the things that has put me off. Thank you all.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2014, 09:46 AM

Yes Stella, I have had terrible experiences, and I do believe affected teeth have since been extracted!

On one occasion she (at the time) was digging for such a prolonged period that I ended up with a bruise on my cheek.

'You've got a dirty smudge on your face.'

'No, it's a bruise...done at the dentists!'

Oh, how many more times!!!!!

Do not, ever, go for root canal. They're blimmin sadists. (Well, that's what it feels like.)
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk

15-10-2014, 10:37 AM

Phew Jazzi - no I won't have root canal treatment, no way!
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2014, 11:10 AM

Don't forget, some dentists have little experience in this technique, both my dentists were and are first rate and not basic BDS.

What are you teeth going to look like after extraction? Denture with one tooth? Don't forget the gum shrinks after extraction, so you may have a gap for some weeks before the tooth is replaced....
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk

15-10-2014, 11:27 AM

Dobra I'm not sure what my teeth will look like afterwards. All I want is to get rid of this awful pain I have on one side of my face. If I need a denture, so be it but the tooth may be far enough back so that the gap wont show.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top