Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Moyra
South East Essex
Moyra is female  Moyra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2014, 01:11 PM

Halloween, for it or agin it?

Halloween is almost here and I haven't a clue whether to buy for it or not as the last couple or three years we have seen nobody. Mind you when we did we ended up with candle wax up our windows even though we had opened up to them and given them sweets and treats. What is your take on it?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2014, 01:13 PM

Re: Halloween, for it or agin it?

Love it, we do the lot and will be going door to door on the day.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2014, 01:17 PM

Don't like it Moyra - I used to sit with bags of sweets - where I live now, they can't come here so that's good ........
Moyra
South East Essex
Moyra is female  Moyra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2014, 01:21 PM

My neighbours are all pensioners now, when I first moved here 17.5 years ago there were an awful lot of young children in the road next to us from which we are a close and the kids all used to come round. During the year as well as at Halloween, I miss it to a degree, but all those kids are married now and have children of their own and moved away!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2014, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Moyra ->
My neighbours are all pensioners now, when I first moved here 17.5 years ago there were an awful lot of young children in the road next to us from which we are a close and the kids all used to come round. During the year as well as at Halloween, I miss it to a degree, but all those kids are married now and have children of their own and moved away!
Ah - we do miss familiar faces .......
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2014, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Moyra ->
Halloween is almost here and I haven't a clue whether to buy for it or not as the last couple or three years we have seen nobody. Mind you when we did we ended up with candle wax up our windows even though we had opened up to them and given them sweets and treats. What is your take on it?
I think in the last five years I have had one set of kids call, at the time I had no idea what they were talking about.

Moyra
South East Essex

16-10-2014, 02:25 PM

Loll, Bruce obviously, Australia has not been caught up into the Americanism of it all. Lucky you! It is a big thing here now.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2014, 02:30 PM

I'm afraid I'm an old misery about Halloween. I don't like kids knocking the door after dark, and making a nuisance of themselves.
Where I used to live, quite a posh area too, I remember a stupid boy dressed up in a cloak and scary mask, who leapt forward at me, growling, with his arms in the air, as I opened the door - frightened the life out of me. At the time I had several German Shepherds, but one of them was standing behind the front door next to me. That dog adored me and knew I was frightened, and that idiot prankster could so easily have been bitten, and no doubt my beautiful, loyal animal would have got the blame.
Some older teenage yobs also knocked at the big house across the road. The lady was on her own as her husband was working away the time. When she offered them sweets, they turned nasty and demanded money instead. She refused and asked them to leave, and eventually they went, but with a warning to her to "watch her car tonight". She was so upset she asked another neighbour if she could leave her car with them for the night.
So no, I don't like Halloween door bashing one bit. It can so easily be used for the wrong purpose.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2014, 02:45 PM

Have to say I don't really like the trick or treat thing, but I can see why little kids enjoy it, and I mean little ones who's parents go round to a few houses with them. I always have sweets for them, or little chocolate bars.

The badly behaved ones who are just doing it to scare elderly people are different and TBH it's not Halloween that's the problem it's the kids who are not taught how to behave or have respect for anyone.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2014, 02:49 PM

Past years we used to get children on their own knocking at our door but I think over the years parents have learnt that it's no longer wise to allow young children out after dark.

We do get a visit from our grandchildren every year though.... and like dutiful grandparents we always express our shock and horror on opening the door!

This was them last Hallowe'en .....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top