Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
BoyRacer
Scotland,UK
BoyRacer is male  BoyRacer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2014, 03:07 PM

Why did I leave Shetland?

These are some views from the lounge of my house when I lived in Shetland. It is a small settlement called Gulberwick, a few miles south of Lerwick

imagehost

how to screenshot on windows

photos upload

photo hosting

photo hosting sites
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2014, 03:15 PM

Re: Why did I leave Shetland?

Fab' views BR...So why DID You leave Shetland? if You don't mind Me asking.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2014, 03:17 PM

So beautiful, I wish I had that view from my window ...
Roseredlee
United Kingdom
Roseredlee is female  Roseredlee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2014, 03:18 PM

Absolutely lovely - was it a very small community?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2014, 03:19 PM

How beautiful. The light seems to have a special quality there
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2014, 03:20 PM

Hope you gave it careful consideration to leave that view behind .....
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2014, 03:36 PM

I'm reading the Shetland series of books by Ann Cleeves and she describes it as always light and very few inhabitants, little crime and everyone knows everyone else - and their business!! It's fiction, so are the places but she does mention Lerwick.
I'd love to go there to visit. Must have been a wrench to leave it all...
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2014, 04:27 PM

Lovely !
BoyRacer
Scotland,UK
BoyRacer is male  BoyRacer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2014, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by aquablue ->
Fab' views BR...So why DID You leave Shetland? if You don't mind Me asking.
It wasn't always sunshine and sunsets. Sometimes living there was hard. I've driven in blizzards when you couldn't even see the end of your bonnet. I've slept in my car when the snow on the roads was so deep I couldn't get home from the airport (the snow ploughs stop at 6pm)
One Christmas Day I had frozen chips because a storm raged for days beforehand and the shelves in Tesco were empty because the ferries weren't running. I had a simple problem with my car that no one up there could fix (it's fixed now). When a kamikaze mountain hair decided to take the front bumper off my car it took 3 months to get a new bumper put on. Plumbers were nigh on impossible to get.
I'm originally from a suburban area and missed some of the facilities on offer. Where I lived the nearest shop was 2.5 miles away.

But now I'm back in suburbia, I do miss the simplicity of life.

In Gulberwick there were about 70 houses, but it was expanding due to it's proximity to Lerwick. My house, built in 1997, was one of the first ones built.
The crime count in the last 5 years in total was 'Nil'. Not a single crime of any kind. I didn't have a lock on the shed and the people who lived there before me didn't even bother to lock their car or even the house. Many a time I see the local kids leave their bikes and helmets leaning against the fence over the road and they'd still be there the next morning.
BoyRacer
Scotland,UK

29-10-2014, 04:31 PM

My 'old' house is circled in the picture from Gulberwick weather centre webcam

gif upload

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top