Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
ShirleyMarie
Michigan, USA
ShirleyMarie is female  ShirleyMarie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2015, 09:40 AM

i going crazy over the way Sister has devided Mom's property.

I am meeting a lawyer today with the intension of sueing my sister. Sister sent me a page of Mom's cash holdings and says they will be devided as a third to each of us, we have a brother too. there is nothing that says it is a legal document. The end says it is a final statement. No mention of Mom's house and lot in town. When I asked about that her Hubby said the property was his for taking care of the repairs for 34 years. Mom always payed for materials used for repairs and offered payment to him and his sons when they helped. I hope I have handled it well. I don't want to appear greedy but fair is fair.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2015, 09:45 AM

Re: i going crazy over the way Sister has devided Mom's property.

If there is no will then it's not fair at all. I would be quite cross with my mother for not making a will I think.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2015, 09:54 AM

This is always a mine field and when a Will should be in place. Its funny how someone can think that the house is theirs because they repaired it over the years, a lot have learnt that it means nothing.

Hope you get this sorted quickly Shirleymarie as solicitors costs can run away with anything you would hope to gain.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2015, 09:57 AM

In the England and Wales ShirleyMarie if there is no surviving
spouse then the monies go to the children.,
As there are 3 children in your case it has to be shared EQUALLY
between all 3 children unless there is some paperwork that
is signed and confirmed is given to say any different.
Its going to cost you to go to court so have you 3 not sat
down and discussed this?

The following is from the rules of Intestate in England and Wales

If there is no surviving partner, the children of a person who has died without leaving a will inherit the whole estate. This applies however much the estate is worth. If there are two or more children, the estate will be divided equally between them.

This is the trouble that can occur when someone does not write
out a Will. I have heard a lot of people who wouldn't make a Will
say it was because if they wrote it then they would die.
I have not heard of anyone dying immediately after writing a WILL
unless they were already on their death bed.
You might have to look online for your American way of dealing
with Intestate issues. Good luck and try not to fall out with
your siblings.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2015, 10:17 AM

A family situation is causing upset 19 years after mum died . Although 7 children were in our family mum left the house to our youngest brother who had always lived with her and our dad . He was then 36. She stated in the will the home could be used by us all if needed for holidays etc. 19 years on our brother is selling the house and will have £125 k .

I accepted years ago I would never have anything from my parents and had never ever asked for anything either , but my sister is angry and bitter saying the money should be shared between us all . Our brother being the youngest was spoilt and over the years abused our parents memory's by being a neighbour from hell, been in prison and into drink and drugs , so my sister says he doesn't deserve to have it all .

As for me , I've accepted the situation and know it won't change , sister wants to contest the will but it's 19 years too late .

It's sad when families are broken because of inheritance.
wishbone
south wales
wishbone is male  wishbone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2015, 11:26 AM

thank God I was the only child.!!!
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2015, 11:49 AM

My parents left nothing so it was easy to share out !
Marion
Norfolk
Marion is female  Marion has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2015, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by wishbone ->
thank God I was the only child.!!!
me as well
Maddy
somewwhere.....
Maddy is female  Maddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2015, 07:20 PM

had this problem when my um-married brother died .... everything went fine paid hes bills up etc .then wallop i found piece of paper giving money to 2 people in the family .. all hes assets...incl stocks shares .. so all but one of the 5 kin said lets split it all right down the middle so everyone is happy btw there was no will --- then hell broke out with one sister' never spoke to any one for 10yrs but we send the odd xmas card now .. money brings bad karma
if not handled right ... hope it works out for u ok ....
maursey
hertfordshire
maursey is female  maursey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2015, 07:33 PM

My will is written out to be shared between my three daughters.
All the contents in the home will be sold and split between them unless they all agree on anyone of them having any particular item or decides to buy it and give the money to the other two. I think that is the fairest way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top