Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2017, 10:53 AM

Are You As Clever As You Think You Are?

After realising that l'm not as clever as l thought l was, l googled it and found this part of an article....

You're pretty smart right? Clever, and funny too. Of course you are, just like me. But wouldn't it be terrible if we were mistaken? Psychologists have shown that we are more likely to be blind to our own failings than perhaps we realise. This could explain why some incompetent people are so annoying, and also inject a healthy dose of humility into our own sense of self-regard.

This below made me realise, l'm not so clever as l thought!....

This morning l decided to make some ice cream with a recipe l had never used before. The ingredients were measured by cup.
Most of the ingredients were straight forward cup/cups.
I read the measurement for the milk as one 1&1/2 cups but l thought the mixture when heated looked thin.
I re-read the recipe and l had wrongly read the milk measurement which should have been 1&2/3 cups
Well, l stood there, trying to work out if two thirds was more than half, or less!
My brain became addled and thicko me had to look it up!
I'm sure all you intelligent people would've known which is more, straight away...wouldn't you?
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2017, 11:11 AM

Re: Are You As Clever As You Think You Are?

No I would have been the same as you Artangel, I don't understand what 2/3 is either. If I see anything like that I would look for a different receipe.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2017, 11:38 AM

I don't use cup measurements - I prefer metric (no risk of confusion ..... )
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2017, 11:46 AM

I think calculations like that are getting easier as we are doing fractions with grace for school, if you saw some of the calculations she has to make wow I don't remember it being that hard at her age.

But I don't think I'm clever at all, I doubt many of us really are, just muddle through life best I can.
Bayardicus
Australia
Bayardicus is male  Bayardicus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2017, 11:57 AM

Makes sense, really...I was never quite up with the best and brightest, either. But...pondering that particular piece of profundity...and, looking back over the main stream of my life...for me, personally...it was probably just as well that i wasn`t....Smart people...with a TOO acutely defined intelligence quotient..tend to suffer from delusions of grandeur more often than lesser mortals....!! Not to mention a whole lot of other emotional hang-ups...
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2017, 11:58 AM

I cant manage any math calculations as I suffer from dyscalculia. I get totally lost in the simplest sums.
Bayardicus
Australia
Bayardicus is male  Bayardicus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2017, 12:01 PM

To be quite honest...neither can i. It`s a subject which i have always been hopeless at. Best i can do is basic arithmetic...
Bayardicus
Australia

07-08-2017, 12:03 PM

...Anyway, i could never see the point in immersing oneself in algebra...or logarithms. It wasn`t as if i wanted to become a mathematician, or anything...!!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2017, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Bayardicus ->
...Anyway, i could never see the point in immersing oneself in algebra...or logarithms. It wasn`t as if i wanted to become a mathematician, or anything...!!
Bay, That is how l felt!
I hated algebra and geometry at school. I just couldn't grasp algebra.
Fractions, l wasn't too bad at but today.. l definitely, had a brain fade!!
Cedronella
england
Cedronella is female  Cedronella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2017, 12:23 PM

I am just about as clever as I always thought I was.

On the " are you clever" sliding scale, you have to wear rubber soles so you don’t slip off but sometimes if you fail and find yourself falling its handy to have a basic knowledge on how to land.

Do you see what I mean.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top