Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
DianneWoollie
Deux Sevres. S W France
DianneWoollie is female  DianneWoollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2021, 05:02 PM

Newbie but not to Gardening

I will tell you about my Garden here in France, It was farmland and the house was mainly for animals but it got renovated a couple of years before be purchased it in 2014. The took out the stairs that were in the Hall. So we live downstairs. There is a wide tall ladder more than stairs in the adjoining barn..Been up there and it is very sloped with planks of wood all over the place..some missing to you could fall through.
We have made the field into a Garden. The best feature is one of two of the pond areas.

the Pampas has recently been dug out and other Shrubs are now in place.
The main is laid to grass and trees but we have invested in a great deal of garden equipment so that has made all possible for us to maintain..well right now the weeds are winning but not for too much longer...Just enjoying all the blooms now and it is getting warmer so out earlier and more breaks taken...another view by that pond area.

No Pampas, was causing too much work as there was 6 of them at one time.
A few blooms and that is it for now.

Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2021, 05:08 PM

Re: Newbie but not to Gardening

You have a very nice garden, Dianne

I love the pond area...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2021, 05:23 PM

Beautiful garden and plants Dianne and being in France you have the warmth to grow so many things
Ullabi
Ullabi is female 

01-06-2021, 05:30 PM

Very nice Dianne. I too envy you being in a climate where you don’t have to worry about plants surviving the winter.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2021, 05:34 PM

I love the pond. Do you have any fish in it?
DianneWoollie
Deux Sevres. S W France
DianneWoollie is female  DianneWoollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2021, 07:10 PM

Yes had 3 gold fishes in that Pond but now Lonesome owns all of it....He is huge about 25 cms. and we have lots in the other Pond but smaller and he might just eat them so have not the courage to test him....He seems happy enough..not that he smiles much...Now the Lilly Pads are growing again he has more privacy which they like.
DianneWoollie
Deux Sevres. S W France

01-06-2021, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Ullabi ->
Very nice Dianne. I too envy you being in a climate where you don’t have to worry about plants surviving the winter.
Well we get some cold here during the Winter and had snow once since we landed here late 2014... the plants do need some protection covers like the Med Palms which we have, just a couple of small ones in Hubby's famous wood planters.
Our house was built in 1801 and the walls are around 80 cms in depth so heat stays out but the cold stays in and boy did |I feel it the first Winter here with no central heating at all....so some plants need the warmth here including us....
macywack
north west, england
macywack is male  macywack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2021, 07:39 PM

loverly to see your garden, thanks
Ullabi
Ullabi is female 

01-06-2021, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by DianneWoollie ->
Well we get some cold here during the Winter and had snow once since we landed here late 2014... the plants do need some protection covers like the Med Palms which we have, just a couple of small ones in Hubby's famous wood planters.
Our house was built in 1801 and the walls are around 80 cms in depth so heat stays out but the cold stays in and boy did |I feel it the first Winter here with no central heating at all....so some plants need the warmth here including us....
Well at least you don’t have temps that can drop to minus 15 but our houses are built to keep the heat in during winter. So we have to make sure that our perennials can stand that kind of cold
DianneWoollie
Deux Sevres. S W France

01-06-2021, 08:03 PM

The new builds here are user friendly and we have one opposite us that has all you need for comfort throughout the seasons. But there are many old properties here in rural France, I do like the old buildings in general and each commune as they are called..smaller than a village.. all have a church that is kept clean and tidy but have little in the way of use...France is not a religious country since early 1900's all religious teaching in state schools ceased because so so many religious wars/murderous behaviours have occurred and scarred the Country way back in time..including my husbands ancestors...New Builds/Plants to Religion how does that happen..

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top