Join for free
ezduzit
USofA
ezduzit is male 

17-06-2021, 11:26 PM

Poorman’s Pizza

I use Thomas’s English Muffins, either air-dried by leaving the split halves (inner halves facing upwards) out on the counter uncovered overnight, or in the toaster oven on the lowest warm setting, as I like them crusty, not toasted

I buy dark red firm tomatoes and ripen them at room temperature for several days until soft, then marinate them in oregano and covered in olive oil overnight, in a covered bowl on the countertop, also room temperature.

When the muffins have hardened enough, I scrape cloves of garlic across the insides (the original garlic bread recipe).

I place the tomatoes on the muffins, then place a slice of provolone (or muenster) on top before placing the other muffin half on top.

I would usually make them in the morning before work and put them in their own baggie and let them marinate even longer before morning break and lunch.

A fellow single Italian boss on this one particular crew I was working on once, saw (and smelled ) me eating one and thought it was the bomb.

He thought it would be hilarious for me to triple the garlic amount and bring some to work, with the intent of he and I eating them just before working with the secretaries!

His intent was to reek of garlic in order to woo them by telling them he/we were Italian.

For some reason I failed to bring them, and was laid off of his crew a few days later!
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2021, 11:34 AM

Re: Poorman’s Pizza

So do you not grill or bake them at any point? Just eat them cold? It sounds lovely, must try the oregano marinated tomatoes
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2021, 12:19 PM

Muffins and crumpets are not the same thing.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2021, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Muffins and crumpets are not the same thing.
Shh - we know that - don't tell everyone!
ezduzit
USofA
ezduzit is male 

19-06-2021, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Bathsheba ->
So do you not grill or bake them at any point? Just eat them cold? It sounds lovely, must try the oregano marinated tomatoes
Ya' know, I never thought to heat them, 'cause they were always for break or lunch, even if there happened to be a microwave in the area of my present jobsite, but a toaster oven would be better to melt the cheese...yum!
Thanks for the tip.

I also love cold pasta and pizza though...snack-wise that is.

As most of you already know, tomatoes should never be refrigerated, unless they have been ripened at room temp first and then they are about to spoil.
They don't ripen properly in the cold produce department, which is why I buy them firm.

Eating them cold is not as tasty as room temp, so I find if they are cold from the fridge or otherwise, I run them under warm water, as they are tastier that way, as is watermelon, but most, including me, find it more refreshing cold.

Proper banana ripening is another casualty of the frigid produce dept, IMO.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2021, 03:56 PM

I had a Galia melon today, seven days out of date but perfect.
DianneWoollie
Deux Sevres. S W France
DianneWoollie is female  DianneWoollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2021, 09:03 AM

I had a meal of a bloke about 53 years ago and still suffering the after taste ..you can't top that even with a prison sentence, that does equates well, actually...
ezduzit
USofA
ezduzit is male 

20-06-2021, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by DianneWoollie ->
I had a meal of a bloke about 53 years ago and still suffering the after taste ..you can't top that even with a prison sentence, that does equates well, actually...
Hilarious. Great analogy.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2021, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by DianneWoollie ->
You ate a bloke? Isn't that cannibalism?

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top