Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2021, 09:30 AM

Runner Beans

For those of you who grow these, how do you deal with the dreaded Black Fly?
I worry about using chemicals on my food products.
Thanks.
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2021, 09:43 AM

Re: Runner Beans

I use a solution of diluted washing up liquid in a spray Mups - that seems to work for me.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2021, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by MargaretF ->
I use a solution of diluted washing up liquid in a spray Mups - that seems to work for me.

Thanks Margaret.
Can you give me a rough idea of the dilution please?
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2021, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Thanks Margaret.
Can you give me a rough idea of the dilution please?
I can give a very rough idea of the amount Mups, it's a bit trial and error to start with. I put a squirt of liquid in the spray bottle and then fill with water and shake. The spray bottle is one of those you can buy to spray the roses. Sorry that doesn't seem much help does it
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2021, 10:17 AM

I didn't get any blackfly this year...... Mind you, I didn't grow any runner beans either.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2021, 10:39 AM

I used dilute washing up liquid last year but to very little avail and I lost the whole crop it was that bad, but this year I bought some Pravado bug spray that is safe to use on edible crops, although I haven't needed to use it yet because I am inspecting the canes every day and taking off any infected side shoots. The prevalence of the black fly seems quite low this year, although they did damage to a blackcurrant bush earlier on due to my negligence in not checking for the little blighters.

I really am always loath to use insecticide of course for fear of killing pollinator insects, so it really is a final straw solution which hopefully won't be needed anyway!
Chillie6
Bristol UK
Chillie6 is male  Chillie6 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2021, 11:16 AM

Another vote for washing up liquid. Seem to work
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2021, 12:46 PM

I have just spent half an hour swabbing black flies with kitchen roll soaked in water and washing up liquid. I like to squish the flies in the kitchen roll.
i also remove any surplus leaves that are covered in black flies...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

09-07-2021, 02:52 PM

Thanks everyone, it seems washing up liquid is the answer then - plus daily vigilance and not letting the little blighters get too bad in the first place.

Like others, I haven't got a problem at the moment, but it is early days and I want to be prepared.

As I said earlier, I am loath to use chemicals on food products if avoidable, but also I my dogs poke about everywhere they shouldn't!

I have also heard about a bit of vinegar mixed in the soap & water helps too, don't know if anyone has tried this?
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2021, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Thanks everyone, it seems washing up liquid is the answer then - plus daily vigilance and not letting the little blighters get too bad in the first place.

Like others, I haven't got a problem at the moment, but it is early days and I want to be prepared.

As I said earlier, I am loath to use chemicals on food products if avoidable, but also I my dogs poke about everywhere they shouldn't!

I have also heard about a bit of vinegar mixed in the soap & water helps too, don't know if anyone has tried this?
Yes. When I had an allotment back in the 70s, one of the older gardeners told me to use used washing up water with a couple of teaspoons of vinegar mixed in. I still use that mix for greenfly on roses

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top