Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2018, 12:30 PM

Time for a new party?

Given the drift to the right in the Tory party and the drift to the left in the Labour Party, which has lead to a nasty polarisation in the UK, is it time for a new centre party? Yes we have the Liberal Democrat’s but I suspect worried Labour Party members remember the SDP and would be reluctant to join with them.
Open question. Any thoughts?
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2018, 12:32 PM

Re: Time for a new party?

Originally Posted by weedeek ->
Given the drift to the right in the Tory party and the drift to the left in the Labour Party, which has lead to a nasty polarisation in the UK, is it time for a new centre party? Yes we have the Liberal Democrat’s but I suspect worried Labour Party members remember the SDP and would be reluctant to join with them.
Open question. Any thoughts?
Should we even have party politics?
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2018, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Should we even have party politics?
What would be your alternative?
MrFraggle
United Kingdom
MrFraggle is male  MrFraggle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2018, 12:50 PM

I think Brexit has proved what an absolute shambles British politics and politicians have become.
All parties should have got together and worked hard to get what the country voted for, instead we have had the ludicrous negotiations of the Tory party and the Labour party not really knowing where they stand.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2018, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by MrFraggle ->
I think Brexit has proved what an absolute shambles British politics and politicians have become.
All parties should have got together and worked hard to get what the country voted for, instead we have had the ludicrous negotiations of the Tory party and the Labour party not really knowing where they stand.
Agreed.. and yes we need another new political party, which I would assume is being hatched as we type.

They will no doubt wait until all of this is done, become elected and change the course of everything that was fought for. Who was it said another Government can change the deal , or something to that effect ?

Michael Gove, but despite Barnier's plans, it hasn't been clarified if this can happen or not.. in the future.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...ed-theresa-may
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2018, 01:13 PM

Actually I'd say no I think what we really need is a new system of independents and then we can vote for best people for the job rather than tribal politics.
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland

03-11-2018, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Agreed.. and yes we need another new political party, which I would assume is being hatched as we type.

They will no doubt wait until all of this is done, become elected and change the course of everything that was fought for. Who was it said another Government can change the deal , or something to that effect ?

Michael Gove, but despite Barnier's plans, it hasn't been clarified if this can happen or not.. in the future.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...ed-theresa-may
As always these days, Brexit dominates! Personally, I think some sort of deal will be agreed but the arguments won’t stop there. Michael Gove is nobodies idea of a centre party politician but would the likes of Barnier be more inclined to cooperate with the leader of a new more moderate party post Brexit?
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland

03-11-2018, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Actually I'd say no I think what we really need is a new system of independents and then we can vote for best people for the job rather than tribal politics.
That sounds an interesting idea! How to bring it about though?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2018, 01:22 PM

Hi

It may be a new party, however it will be made up of the same Politicians.
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland

03-11-2018, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

It may be a new party, however it will be made up of the same Politicians.
There’s always that of course. Would it be too much to hope for that a new idea will attract new politicians? People who are interested in politics but put off with the tribal nature of today’s Westminster.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top