Join for free
Page 214 of 370 « First < 114 164 204 212 213 214 215 216 224 264 314 > Last »
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2018, 10:48 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Did you make that up yourself Roxy?....
Very good......
No not me, I was sent it ages ago. I'm not clever like that
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2018, 03:11 PM

LQ, you seem like you are always moving! Your workout two days ago was really solid! Walking and shopping made me think about the now disappearing indoor shopping malls that are disappearing here in favor of outdoor malls, that are growing in popularity here because people don' have to walk so much. Americans are so attached to their cars that I've seen people visit neighbors by driving - just a house or two away!

Roxy, that poem was great! You aren't kidding me though, I've seen the photos of Scotland and whether it's as cold as Antarctica or hot as Hades, all that scenery and wide open spaces are worth it. That said, I'll remember my gloves when I eventually travel that way ...and a hat...and scarf...and boots....and a flamethrower.....

Well you gentlemen may not have had the best weekend (so far), but given that those decadent holiday treats prepared to tease you into submission are just around the corner, I have a hunch that we will all be pressing down the accelerator soon enough.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 03:52 PM

Monday 12/11/18: Refresher (legs)
(All weights in kilogrammes)

Despite my absence from these pages, I've still been reading about your exploits and adventures and you're all keeping at it which is excellent.

Nine long but restful days without any training didn’t affect my fitness too much other than adding a little weight around the midriff, which will settle down again whence I’m back at work tonight, and leaving my slothful existence in limbo I hit the gym for a simple and basic ‘refresher’ to get back into it.

The strange thing about having done strength training for all those years is that any kind of rest period is classed as ‘off-season bulking’ whereby the muscles begin to fully relax and actually ‘build’ while doing very little exercise. I noticed this happening during my time out, especially on my legs which have ‘massed’ out rather surprisingly. So to capitalise on this I made my very short training session today solely for the legs with just the bare essentials until a heavier session scheduled for the end of this week.

Sled press:
25x120, 20x150, 20x150, 15x200, 15x200
50x00 high reps
*Taking the sled right to the maximum weight and easily pushing the full stack.

Extensions:
25x50, 15x75, 10x90
12x100, 12x100, 12x100
10x100 slow
*Again, the full stack and the most reps I’ve done on this machine for a long time. Had some comments whilst I was doing these from a couple of awestruck passing students: “Legs in bloody good nick mate!” Always nice when that sort of thing happens lol.

Treadmill
10 minutes just to limber up.

Bike:
5 minutes at full speed, again to loosen up the weight training.

Went back onto the weights for one final blast…

Seated ham curls:
50x35 high reps

All very pleasing and more than that it’s a return to the gym which is much required.
Tomorrow I will be focusing on some long-delayed upper body work.

Thanks for reading
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2018, 01:16 PM

Nice comeback workout Floydy....
Although at my age if I didn't run for nine days I doubt whether I'd be able to get out of my chair and even walk to the shops for some more biscuits.....

Following last Friday's back breaking leg dragging excuse for a jog, I turned out for my Sunday Eight and ran out of my socks.... What a brilliant run, and while giving my running shoes the Foxy deep cleaning routine it started raining....
Just made it home in time.....Unfortunately Mrs Fox didn't.......Unlucky!...

So today after a very early start (first light) on a quiet mildish morning, I continued with the satisfying run series. The honey smothered toast consumed the night before seems to be paying off. So my advice to all of you exercise junkies is:- Make sure you are putting enough in the tank before you expect to get some out.....Something I found out years ago, and seem to have forgot.....

While competing annually on a forty two mile fell run, I realised that my times were falling short of the previous year.
6:48 - 1986
6:55 - 1987
7:02 - 1989
It seemed like age might have been the reason, but also, had I been sat watching TV for six hours I would have had to get something to eat. So I packed five Jam Sandwiches, and consumed one at each of the five checkpoints. The results were startling.....
6:15 - 1989
6:01 - 1991
6:02 - 1992
6:08 - 1993
This theory has been tested out on many runs since and has always produced surprising results.
Muscles feel tired and ache when fuel gets low.......And sometimes you put it down to something else, when the simple answer is......LOW FUEL!
Fuel must be in the form of honey or jam, preferably on bread.....Fast release and slow release energy....No cheese or pies...
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2018, 04:42 PM

A fabulous and very interesting read, Bob
Whilst I agree we must 'fuel up' our bodies for our forthcoming exercise blast, it all comes down to carbs and more exclusively - sugar. I wouldn't encourage too much sugary foods as a rule, but the body does need some kind of quick fix to get our energy levels up and if jam sandwiches work for you, then it's fine to stick with your winning plan.

But it's a very good point you raise. In bodybuilding circles and in fact with most athletes these days, we would call this a crude method of a pre-workout 'meal'.
I used to spend a small fortune in bodybuilding supplements i.e. protein shake powder, whey drinks and all kinds of energy drinks to aid with my training diet. It's only withing the last couple of years that I ditched all of that mainly due to the cost of it all - I would be spending upwards of £100 per month on this kind of stuff only to gain water retention, high blood pressure and belly bloating - so I did away with it all.

Now I'll have a quick 'crunch-type' cereal bar with a large glass of squash and a banana as I leave the house, which gives me a great energy boost. This way I'm not eating too much sugar either, which isn't good for you as we all know.

But mate, if the sandwiches are working for you and you're not putting on weight then carry on bud. It's the bread content rather than the jam that would cause me to feel bloated at the gym, so I generally eat a sandwich when I come back, along with a coffee and two chocolate digestives!

Well done on your Sunday run too, on top form there!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

13-11-2018, 04:45 PM

Tuesday 13/11/18: Refresher (upper body)
(All weights in kilogrammes)

Another brief workout today, this time to get the stiffness off my torso and its attachments lubricated once more. Nothing too strenuous for this mid-week effort but it always hits the spot at the end feeling I’m back in the game again.

Lat pulldown, hammer bar:
12x50, 10x60, 6x70

DB bench press:
10x28, 6x30
12x22

Seated row:
15x53, 12x59, 10x65

Chest press:
12x60, 10x70, 8x80

Fly delt dec:
15x95, 12x110
20x65 h/r

E-Z curl, standing:
12x28, 12x28, 12x33

Tricep pushdowns:
15x30, 10x35, 6x40

Ab crunch:
25x30 feet front, 25x30 feet on floor

Satisfyingly decent. I’ll be amending this workout from next week as it will still include the three sets but instead of these gradual weight increases the first set will remain the same but the second set will feature 1.5 times the weight rather than a slight increase, taking my effort level to ‘failure’ point. The final set will be half that set’s weight to culminate in a high reps finish. Changing my programme regularly keeps me interested in this malarkey.

Thanks for reading
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2018, 05:12 PM

A good two days for you Floydy and OGF.

I am in agreement on what you two has said about fueling. t that the older I get the more critical what used to seem like small things - timing of meals, time of day - seem to affect the quality of my running. Even more amazing and puzzling is how son can skip eating...or eat three plate of lasagne and chase it with some horrible heavily processed chips...and still run like a cheetah without effect either way. Ah, to have a young, forgiving body...

No complaints though. This used car, with plenty of miles, still managed to make the best of it today under cloudy skies and a whipping north wind. Though I have to wrap up like a mummy to set aside all complaints and get out there, I enjoy days like this because there is not a soul in sight. 5.5 more miles are past me now, but not before I had my version of a jam sandwich...

a nice, scalding cup of spicy chai...

or two.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

13-11-2018, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
A good two days for you Floydy and OGF.

I am in agreement on what you two has said about fueling. t that the older I get the more critical what used to seem like small things - timing of meals, time of day - seem to affect the quality of my running. Even more amazing and puzzling is how son can skip eating...or eat three plate of lasagne and chase it with some horrible heavily processed chips...and still run like a cheetah without effect either way. Ah, to have a young, forgiving body...

No complaints though. This used car, with plenty of miles, still managed to make the best of it today under cloudy skies and a whipping north wind. Though I have to wrap up like a mummy to set aside all complaints and get out there, I enjoy days like this because there is not a soul in sight. 5.5 more miles are past me now, but not before I had my version of a jam sandwich...

a nice, scalding cup of spicy chai...

or two.
Ooo spicy chai....must get some from Tesco next week....and some full fat yoghurt (Bob's favourite)

Weird thing with the pre-exercise meals. As I usually just have the smallest of snacks as I mentioned above, but on a weekend when I put in my best performances I function much better after a huge breakfast - though it has to be at least three hours beforehand.
But yes Suzie, I was the same as your son when I was his age. A big hearty evening meal in the RAF airmans mess, then wasting no time for a 2-3 hour weights workout followed by a 5 mile hill run. And that was every night. Oh those were the days!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

14-11-2018, 04:57 PM

Wednesday 14/11/18: Upper body ‘extra’; 55 mins.
(All weights in kilos)

This was unexpected. I was due to meet up with my sister this afternoon but she had to cancel, so with some ultra-rare free time on my hands I hit the gym for an extra workout. Then faced with a slight dilemma of what to do with this unplanned visit, I decided to select some of the exercises which are normally confined to my traditional weekend strength session. This was definitely a good notion as now I can have a shorter session on Friday just focusing on the biceps and delt muscles which will leave my other areas such as chest, back and triceps additional rest. This should enable me to be more refreshed for my cardio on Saturday morning, with a full legs workout on Sunday. Hope you follow all that?!
Here’s today’s routine:

Smith shoulder press, 60° bench:
15x30, 8x40
20x20

Smith flat bench press:
12x40, 6x60
15x30
*These two exercises were actually a taster for the new routine I was talking about yesterday which begins next week. A moderate weight to begin with followed by a heavier second set then some light reps to end with. It seemed to suit my programme quite well and I’ll put the full plan into action from next week.

DB Pinwheel curls, standing, alt.:
6x15, 6x15

DB bicep curls, standing, alt.:
6x16, 6x16

DB Seated hammer curls, alt.:
6x14, 6x14

Barbell curl, standing:
12x25, 12x25, 12x25, 12x25, 12x25,
*Five sets of these which really taxed my biceps, even on this fairly menial weight. Normally I do these seated with a 30 or 35kg bar with just three sets but as I was already standing up I decided to go for this rather more exhausting version instead.

Barbell forearm reverse curl, standing:
12x15, 12x15

Single DB press:
40x50, 30x50, 20x50, 10x50 = 100 reps.
*Grabbing the heaviest dumbbell in the building I positioned myself lying down on a bench and simply pushing the weight up and down above my chest over four sets totalling one hundred reps. To say my triceps were on fire is an understatement!

Tricep extensions:
25x40, 15x50, 12x60, 10x70, 8x80
50x25 high reps
*With the backs of my arms already burning from the previous exercise, what better than to toast them even more with a very heavy hammering culminating in an arm-bursting 80kgs on the final set. To top it all off with, 50 high reps too and my triceps were looking more like my thighs!

And with that beasting of a finish I called it quits and headed for a beautifully relaxing shower trying to wash myself with arms that just didn’t wish to be raised! Then home for coffee and biscuits.

Thanks for reading

**EDIT**

Hmmm...I've just looked at what is actually left of my Friday 'strength' session and apart from some intensive bicep work there's not a whole lot remaining to do.
So with this in mind, I'll do all that and add my full cardio routine afterwards. That seems like a sensible idea and it will also leave my Saturday morning free to chill out as I'll be out in the afternoon enjoying some liquid hops and barley refreshment
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

14-11-2018, 05:41 PM

Great session! Nothing like a freebie . Too often it seems like I am losing a session rather than gaining one. I think it's great you meet with your sister for coffee.

The cold rain has me staring at the radar looking for a break to squeeze in a few miles. I am sitting here dressed with shoes laced ready to hit the starting line...feeling my conditioning fade with ever minute that goes by

I'll report in later. Enjoy all that running, swimming, yoga-ing, lifting, crunching, everyone!

Page 214 of 370 « First < 114 164 204 212 213 214 215 216 224 264 314 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top