Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2018, 09:29 PM

District nurses

Its so difficult with the District Nurses,they have been coming to bandage my leg but I never know when they are coming and they get annoyed if Im not here when they call.They are under the opinion that if I can got out then I dont need home visits, Someone called today but I was out doing a little shopping ,I rang them back as soon as I got home to say I was home but the receptionist was quite brusque,wanted to know where Id been and how I got there,I explained that I had transport,but she wasnt a bit happy that I hadnt been home..
Ive been told that if you can go out ,,even briefly, they will stop home visits,assuming you can get yourself to a clinic for help.
I dont want to have to go to a clinic for leg dressings,but I also have several different conditions which need treatment and I have to go out
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2018, 09:41 PM

Re: District nurses

While I realise it is distressing for you that they may stop home visits I do see their point in a way. The NHS is hugely stretched and struggling badly these days and are only able to home visit people who are completely housebound. There doesn't seem to be enough district nurses these days. I have a friend who is a district nurse and she is forever telling me how pushed she is because of staff shortages and when she complains it falls on deaf ears.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2018, 09:54 PM

The district nurses were supposed to be coming to me three times each fortnight but I soon learned that it was easier to visit the local hospital rather than stay in for the nurse as they are very overstretched. This way I have an appointment and can be in and out in a few minutes. I know it’s more difficult if you don’t have transport Deylon.
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2018, 12:53 AM

If you can go shopping, then you do not need a home visit.
I have been on the other end.
I have gone out to deliver specs to a " house bound" patient. Only to find them not at home.
I do wish people would stop wasting limited resources.
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2018, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by deylon ->
Its so difficult with the District Nurses,they have been coming to bandage my leg but I never know when they are coming and they get annoyed if Im not here when they call.They are under the opinion that if I can got out then I dont need home visits, Someone called today but I was out doing a little shopping ,I rang them back as soon as I got home to say I was home but the receptionist was quite brusque,wanted to know where Id been and how I got there,I explained that I had transport,but she wasnt a bit happy that I hadnt been home..
Ive been told that if you can go out ,,even briefly, they will stop home visits,assuming you can get yourself to a clinic for help.
I dont want to have to go to a clinic for leg dressings,but I also have several different conditions which need treatment and I have to go out

Seriously?
Read the first paragraph and ask yourself a few questions.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2018, 01:38 AM

Some of the responses here make no sense to me.

It's not about having insufficient funding but about being unable to recruit sufficient numbers of nurses. Either that or local misdirection of funds. Neither problem is the fault of the patient (who incidentally has a life and should be afforded some respect by at least being told when they will be seen).

An effective service should not be imprisoning people in their own homes as a condition of treatment. If a service is arranged for a patient then the service provider should accept without question that the patient is in need of that service rather than assessing them for treatment when they have already been assessed by the referring clinician.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2018, 04:46 AM

If the patient is able to go shopping they should not be allocated a home visit. The only way they would be considered eligible would be if they were considered housebound. It's simply not fair to expect home visits if you can get out and about.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2018, 07:01 AM

if you are able to go out and have transport then you are wasting valuable time and resources. One less visit to you - helps someone who can't get out!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2018, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
if you are able to go out and have transport then you are wasting valuable time and resources. One less visit to you - helps someone who can't get out!
Very true.

Also - it is next to impossible to tie a DN to a given time. They never know what they will find until they arrive at the patients home. They may be scheduled to do a simple dressing but encounter other problems when with the patient - so the visit takes longer than expected - making them late for subsequent visits.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2018, 08:55 AM

When my mum had district nurse care they phoned to say when they expected to be there and called when they were running late. It's a simple courtesy.

They are not be there to police whether someone is entitled to the service. It's not their call. It's not a free service and they shouldn't rely on the generosity of carers as an excuse to withdraw.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top