Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2018, 10:00 AM

Re: District nurses

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
When my mum had district nurse care they phoned to say when they expected to be there and called when they were running late. It's a simple courtesy.

They are not be there to police whether someone is entitled to the service. It's not their call. It's not a free service and they shouldn't rely on the generosity of carers as an excuse to withdraw.
Isn't this a two way thing though Annie? None of us pay extra for home visits, it is a service provided for those who cannot get the care by any other means.
If a patient knows that a district nurse is coming on a certain day, surely they can arrange to get shopping on another day, or even ask somebody else?
Not being home when they call, will just allow the NHS to think that maybe the service isn't so necessary!

I know a little about deylon and I believe that she should be able to have home visits, but she is doing herself no favours by going out on days when the district nurse is expected. They cant work to time schedules, because they don't know how long they will need to spend with patients to make sure they are cared for properly!
I think that we should all be grateful that the home service is available, and be a little more patient about having to stay in and wait!
Phoning to let the patient know when they are coming just adds to the cost, so your mum was very lucky!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2018, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Isn't this a two way thing though Annie? None of us pay extra for home visits, it is a service provided for those who cannot get the care by any other means.
If a patient knows that a district nurse is coming on a certain day, surely they can arrange to get shopping on another day, or even ask somebody else?
Not being home when they call, will just allow the NHS to think that maybe the service isn't so necessary!

I know a little about deylon and I believe that she should be able to have home visits, but she is doing herself no favours by going out on days when the district nurse is expected. They cant work to time schedules, because they don't know how long they will need to spend with patients to make sure they are cared for properly!
I think that we should all be grateful that the home service is available, and be a little more patient about having to stay in and wait!
Phoning to let the patient know when they are coming just adds to the cost, so your mum was very lucky!
Twink there's no reason we should pay more, any more than we don't pay for GP appointments or operations. District nurses cost less than both. The service should be more widespread because this would stop people like Deylon ending up in as expensive hospital inpatients. The service should not be rationed!

Of course someone like Delyon is totally entitled. That's why I find it annoying that anyone from the service should be questioning this.

My mum wasn't lucky. It is part of the service & that should apply nationwide. Patients should demand it. It doesn't cost anything to phone patients if the service is managed correctly. These services are not underfunded Twink, it's all down to the way they are managed! Don't let the press lead you to make assumptions that there is no money for them. That's nonsense.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2018, 01:44 AM

Well some good points there AnnieS - perhaps the nurse was a bit disgruntled on the day and over stepped her authority. I personally am no longer aware of their responsibilities re there job and appointments etc - the question and solution seems to hing on whether the district nurse has the right to make this call and whether the patient is pushing the boundaries too much?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2018, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Twink there's no reason we should pay more, any more than we don't pay for GP appointments or operations. District nurses cost less than both. The service should be more widespread because this would stop people like Deylon ending up in as expensive hospital inpatients. The service should not be rationed!

Of course someone like Delyon is totally entitled. That's why I find it annoying that anyone from the service should be questioning this.

My mum wasn't lucky. It is part of the service & that should apply nationwide. Patients should demand it. It doesn't cost anything to phone patients if the service is managed correctly. These services are not underfunded Twink, it's all down to the way they are managed! Don't let the press lead you to make assumptions that there is no money for them. That's nonsense.
I have personal experience that some NHS employees are not up the the job, and some think it is Ok to chat on the phone , instead of working! Hardly a way to use financial resources! We have nurses doing the jobs that doctors used to do, and that implies that they are underfunded.....unless the government are now trying to get rid of the NHS and make us all be private patients.
In Australia, they used to have the flying doctor service & the way we are heading it looks like DIY treatment over the internet is the way things will go for everybody. When that happens we will all have to get a friend or neighbour to come in and help with our treatment , because district nurses will no longer exist.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2018, 06:44 AM

Can't lay people be trained to change dressings to save the nurses visits?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2018, 06:48 AM

Hi

I am an independent git, I want to manage on my own.

When I was laid up with my spinal abscess , the District Nurse was here twice a day.

Somewhat embarrassing as she was a friend of my daughter and an Ex Girlfriend of my son.

I have also baby sitted her when she was much younger fed her and bathed her, Mum lived opposite.

Being laid down with my bum in the air and my bits on view, is somewhat weird under those circumstances.

She is a total professional and I am very grateful to her, although it is strange being bossed about by her.

I hear so many bad stories, but she has been brilliant.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

07-07-2018, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Can't lay people be trained to change dressings to save the nurses visits?
I am sure they can Muddy, but the real question is "Would they recognize if there were further problems with the wound". I have a good knowledge on first aid, but I wouldn't want to be responsible for noticing a change in any wound & leaving the patient to suffer if I didn't notice it!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2018, 06:59 AM

I am sure they can Muddy, but the real question is "Would they recognize if there were further problems with the wound". I have a good knowledge on first aid, but I wouldn't want to be responsible for noticing a change in any wound & leaving the patient to suffer if I didn't notice it!
Hi

Spot on Twinks as usual.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2018, 10:34 AM

I have personal experience that some NHS employees are not up the the job, and some think it is Ok to chat on the phone , instead of working! Hardly a way to use financial resources! We have nurses doing the jobs that doctors used to do, and that implies that they are underfunded.....unless the government are now trying to get rid of the NHS and make us all be private patients.
In Australia, they used to have the flying doctor service & the way we are heading it looks like DIY treatment over the internet is the way things will go for everybody. When that happens we will all have to get a friend or neighbour to come in and help with our treatment , because district nurses will no longer exist.
They can't recruit enough people Twink. There are not enough doctors too and in terms of nurses doing some of the things doctors do, these are usually graduate nurses. They gave nurses a pay rise years ago after all the strikes but also gave the more responsibility. They are all medics with a good understanding of what they are doing.

The way we are heading is interactive consultations and more online based treatment. Using money in a smarter way which also benefits patients so they don't waste time in hospital beds. People being treated closer to home has been the aim since labour was in power. But they need services that back that up by not making it conditional.

Many elderly people still don't have a mobile phone or tablet, or access to the internet. It's also not easy using a smartphone as you age and your fingers get arthritic, your sight might go, you may find it harder to even talk because of chest problems. There needs to be a backup and district nursing is ideal to help those elderly people who live independently to stay living in their own homes when they are sick. It's worth investing more in it.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

07-07-2018, 10:45 AM

It's not just that because district nurses do other checks and are accredited but a lay person could be anyone, could you trust them to come into your home?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top