Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Vaniy
Spain
Vaniy is male  Vaniy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2018, 12:12 PM

Re: Scottish Banknotes

You want to try using Gibraltar notes on the plane to GB
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 01:29 PM

Egyptians take anything.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 01:41 PM

Like you May I don't even offer to pay with a Scottish Note. They stay warm and snug in my purse. I just over exercise my Debit Card. As you say "The Red Mist" descends and you end up with a headache. Just not worth the hassle.

Mind You my card does say Bank of Scotland on it, Maybe the Scunners will start telling me that I can't use that either.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by weedeek ->
Perhaps you’ve put your finger on it, I believe retailers have the right to refuse but they have no reason to in this case.
I know for a fact that most English traders are loathed to take Scottish or Irish banknotes, it's always been that way. When I helped out at one of my son's Pawnbrokers, he would never accept them either. It's nothing to do with picking on our Celtic brethren though, more likely to do with being nervous about fraudulent bank notes.

If you think about it, after doing the usual checks on an English banknote, if we were still a bit iffy about the look of it, we could always compare it to other banknotes taken on the day. But how often do traders have even one Scottish or Irish banknote to compare the customer's banknote with? I can tell you, usually none! half of us didn't even know what to check for! hence they wouldn't take the risk, especially with £10, £20 and £50 notes, Back then, it was even worse because at the time the banks were warning traders that iffy banknotes were in abundance. (I guess old habits die hard, even though it does seem very unfair.)
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 02:51 PM

Come to think of it, I wonder if the same applies to Scottish and Irish traders with regards to English banknotes? The Irish are so used to Euro's and the Scottish to their own banknotes. Just a thought.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 03:00 PM

Nope no problem with English Banknotes, that's what hacks us off so much, we take yours. When I was still working I often felt like telling an English Customer we didn't accept them, just for devilment and to see the look their face.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Like you May I don't even offer to pay with a Scottish Note. They stay warm and snug in my purse. I just over exercise my Debit Card. As you say "The Red Mist" descends and you end up with a headache. Just not worth the hassle.

Mind You my card does say Bank of Scotland on it, Maybe the Scunners will start telling me that I can't use that either.
Aye Mine says RBS and has never been questioned South of the Border..so it's just the notes which are the problem,and they're such lovely notes too with the fiver having the Fourth Bridge on it...how very dare They refuse
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 09:43 PM

Our local Chippy will take anything and he is Italian.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top