Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 05:25 PM

NHS Dental charges

Just under three weeks ago I had a check up at my dentist and had a loose front crown re-fitted. The whole cost of this was the regular check up charge of £21.60.

The following day I went on a holiday to Tenerife and while I was away my crown became loose again (just three days after it had been secured back into place).

I returned from holiday and immediately on the following Monday I rang my dentist and explained the situation. I asked if I would have to pay again for refitting my tooth and was told that as it was so soon it came loose that I "shouldn't have to pay". I was booked another alpointment and yesterday had it cemented in once more.

When I went down to the desk I was told there was a further £21.60 to pay for the treatment and I told them I was told when I booked that I shouldn't have to. I explained that I didn't have any money with me (which was true as I thought it would be free of charge) and they said "sorry but...".

I asked to see the Practice Manager and was told she would be present tomorrow (Wednesday). I will go in and relay my story.

What do you think? Should I have to pay for this treatment so soon after my previous payment for a crown that clearly should have been fitted more solidly in the first place?
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 06:07 PM

Re: NHS Dental charges

No, I wouldn't pay either.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 06:21 PM

No Floydy, I don't think you should pay, it was their fault not yours and so soon after it was done.

I think Dentist are a rip off any way, even the NHS.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 07:38 PM

we have private dental insurance which covers most things but it cost my £92 for the making of the crown as Lab costs are not covered. Not including the monthly payments for insurance cover

So i wouldn't moan about paying £21.60 , you got away with it cheap.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
we have private dental insurance which covers most things but it cost my £92 for the making of the crown as Lab costs are not covered. Not including the monthly payments for insurance cover

So i wouldn't moan about paying £21.60 , you got away with it cheap.
I'm not moaning about the price, Realspeed, it's the principle of the matter. As Susie says, why should I have to pay again when the tooth fell out after four days? What if this happens every week?
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 08:44 PM

Exactly my point Floydy, don't pay.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 09:37 PM

You probably need a new crown, they don't often fall off unless there's a problem underneath.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

16-10-2018, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
You probably need a new crown, they don't often fall off unless there's a problem underneath.
Hi Annie.
My crown became loose after a very long time. It was previously secured back in place after falling out when I was in the RAF - in fact, I believe they refitted it when I was in Belize back in 1991 so it's done well.
This time the dentist actually struggled to prise it out so it was probably not going to fall out on its own. It was just irritating, plus I didn't want the tooth to actually break in half, so I got it sorted out.
Yesterday my dentist did say that my crown could be losing grip by the other teeth next to it due to ageing and if it should come loose again she may need to look at a new tooth altogether but that would be a lot of work. Anyway, it seems better right now than her first attempt, so perhaps it will stay secured.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 10:18 PM

Wow that is a good innings Floydy. I really hope it lasts this time. But every time they stick it back on they have to etch the tooth so it won't fit quite so well as before.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

16-10-2018, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Wow that is a good innings Floydy. I really hope it lasts this time. But every time they stick it back on they have to etch the tooth so it won't fit quite so well as before.
That's inevitable I guess, Annie. Or be left with a gap in the center top row of my teeth which I'd rather not have. Can't spoil my looks can I?

I remember back to how it all came to be:
At aged 6 I was running around at primary school and somehow I had a collision with a shorter lad and my front tooth became lodged in his forehead. For a while I had half a tooth there and I recall being incredibly conscious and embarrassed about it. It was duly 'capped' which remained like that for a few years until my features grew enough to get an 'adult' tooth crown fitted.

I sometimes wonder if that other lad - Tony Gee - still has a scar in the centre of his forehead!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top