Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2018, 01:08 PM

AAA Screening.

Just over 3 weeks ago my sister was found in her kitchen in Spain she had died all alone and according to the Spanish doctor instantly which was a blessing.
I have spent that time trying to keep my mind clear doing everything and anything even painting which I don't normally do because of my lung problem,but anyways I finally started sleeping through the night again which gave me some relief because I was getting like a bear with a sore head.

Yesterday however my nephew phoned me from Japan to tell me whats happening with his mums memorial and when it is.
I cannot go because it is just to damp and cold up in the bleak North this time of the year.
Anyways I woke at 3 am this morning and been unable to sleep because its been turning over in my mind.

So I am working away again out the back this morning and the door bell rings its my post man Tony and we have a chat he gives me a envelope and when I open it,it is an appointment the day after her memorial for my AAA screening now that I have reached the grand old age of 65 apparently I am entitled but here is the catch women are not offered this scan.
My sister died of a aorta aneurysm haemorrhage which is exactly what I am going to be screened for.

You know when you get that feeling you want to swing for some one or even scream the house down.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2018, 01:32 PM

Re: AAA Screening.

Yes that's a terrible thing to think about LF, and terrible timing too probably. I will never understand why so many checks are gender specific, apart from the obvious ones of course.

So sorry to hear about your sister. You must be feeling sad that you cannot attend her memorial but the memories of her in your own head are the most important, more important than any speech; so don't beat yourself up over the fact that you can't go. It's always difficult when our families live so far away but they are the decisions we make.

Take care LF and I hope your screening goes well.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2018, 01:53 PM

How awful for you, longfellow.....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2018, 01:55 PM

That's awful, so sad for you. I have been fighting for years to get men screened for breast cancer, NHS don't want to know but male breast cancers are rising yearly.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2018, 01:55 PM

Oh you must be so shocked, my heart goes out to you. X
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2018, 02:46 PM

Sorry to hear your troubles LF ...life throws some rubbish at us ...try to keep good positive feelings going if you can.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2018, 02:56 PM

LF sorry to hear about your sister, it must been a horrible shock for you .

You don't need to attend a memorial service to remember someone do you, those we have loved are in our thoughts forever.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2018, 03:50 PM

So sorry about your sister Longfellow, I can see it has been a nasty shock for you all. I am sure family will understand why you can't make the journey with your health as it is.

I know what you mean about the screening not available for women, because in my local hospital they have big notices up on the walls advertising it available for men. I asked one of the nurses if it was also for women and she said No, because there are more men who suffer with this condition than women.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2018, 03:56 PM

I'm so sorry to hear about your sister Longfellow, it must have been an awful shock for you.

Thinking of you...
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2018, 05:00 PM

Thanks for your kind words peep's.
But I just needed to let off a little steam I have since had my nap and calmed.

Yes when reading the booklet it says the reason why is because its only 1 in 6 women can get it.

Which to me once again undermines women's rights.
You know as I get older I am not liking what I find out.
Its quite disturbing because has a youngster I never took much notice to the system.
Mind I never needed it then I suppose as much as I need it now.
T/y

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top