Join for free
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 01:10 PM

Grout

Is there such a thing as grout that doesn't turn black? I'm sick of scrubbing the grout in my shower with a toothbrush & bleach.

As I'm soon to have my bathroom retiled from top to bottom I would love to know of the latest & best grouts to use.

Has one been invented that will keep it's original colour in spite of wet & damp?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 01:22 PM

Re: Grout

Have you considered an epoxy-based or acrylic grout? I used epoxy grout for my daughter's tiled worktops many years ago and it's still going strong. A bit of a pain to use but worth it in the long run.

A bit of a demo here. Personally I would have used a multi-tool to remove the existing grout first.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 01:27 PM

It's going to be done by a professional tradesman but I fear he may just use the standard cheapest grout!

I've got a grant for a new wet room for Tony and the council are paying the biggest part of it so I can't expect the best. However I am willing to pay for any extras such as better quality tiles and the best grout etc..
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 01:40 PM

The great problem with shower cubicles is that they are usually hard to ventilate, and consequently the continual warm and wet conditions provide the perfect conditions for mould growth which will continue on grouts regardless of quality.

I have found that the best way to combat mould growth is firstly to ensure an extractor fan is on at all times that the shower room is being used, and then secondly to apply a fine mist spray to the tiles weekly of a very weak bleach based cleaner such as "Mould and Mildew" by Dettol. This chemical kills the spores of any potential mould growths and therefore eliminates the blackening process altogether. As an example our shower cubicle was installed around three years ago, and by doing this it still looks as fresh today as it did then...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 03:54 PM

Barry, would that mould spray 'bleach' and streak the flooring as it runs down the tiles?

Mine is not a shower cubicle with a ceramic floor you see, it is that thick, non-slip, knobbly vinyl type stuff.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Barry, would that mould spray 'bleach' and streak the flooring as it runs down the tiles?

Mine is not a shower cubicle with a ceramic floor you see, it is that thick, non-slip, knobbly vinyl type stuff.
Hi Mups,

Just reading the back of the spray bottle and it reads:
"Suitable for acrylic bath tubs and showers, chrome, ceramic basins and toilets, stainless steel, glazed ceramic tiles, white grouting, formica and plastics", so I should reckon your flooring would be quite safe according to that...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 04:36 PM

Thanks for that Barry.

I have a small wet room you see, so it's not a ceramic floor.

I think when large areas of wall are tiled it doesn't help with condensation either, even though I always wipe dry the tiled area when I'm finished.

I do have the extractor on, and leave the window open afterwards as well, but still a little black mould tries to come in the corners.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts

12-11-2018, 04:41 PM

Yes it's normally the corners and edges that suffer as warm water tends to collect and linger there, in fact I don't spray the whole of the area but just the edges and corners that you mentioned..
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 05:47 PM

How about getting a dehumidifier?, you can leave it near the bathroom to collect all the moisture, there are products you can buy to whiten and protect the grout , not sure how successful they are though..
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
The great problem with shower cubicles is that they are usually hard to ventilate, and consequently the continual warm and wet conditions provide the perfect conditions for mould growth which will continue on grouts regardless of quality.

I have found that the best way to combat mould growth is firstly to ensure an extractor fan is on at all times that the shower room is being used, and then secondly to apply a fine mist spray to the tiles weekly of a very weak bleach based cleaner such as "Mould and Mildew" by Dettol. This chemical kills the spores of any potential mould growths and therefore eliminates the blackening process altogether. As an example our shower cubicle was installed around three years ago, and by doing this it still looks as fresh today as it did then...
I agree !

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top