Join for free
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 03:58 PM

Alzheimers' Disease

My mom had it. She was well taken care of physically as I brought her in to live with me, and I looked after her....she thought she was my child......

I once asked the doctor how a person could tell if someone had alzheimers. He said "if you bring in your keys and ask me "what are these"......then you have alzheimer's. If you come in and tell me you keep losing your keys, you are just getting forgetful.

Alzheimer’s can affect a person’s ability to work with numbers, follow directions, or make plans. This often manifests when the person has trouble understanding conversations, paying bills, or even following recipes.

My mom gradually started losing her grip on life and I watched it happen. It was so sad. I hope it doesn't happen to me, but I am not going to spend any time worrying about it.......

I just wish I had given birth to a daughter rather than a son, because a daughter usually looks out for the mother. With a son, he is all about his wife and forgets about "good old mom who gave him life".......
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 04:03 PM

Re: Alzheimers' Disease

Sorry to hear about your mum succumbing to Alzheimer's disease, Bluey. It's a truly horrible thing.
I lost both my parents to this nasty disease in recent years.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 05:56 PM

And my Mum died one year ago with it along with old age, didn't know who I was.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 06:13 PM

My mum had it. It's so sad because it robs the sufferer of all dignity.

Now my husband has it too. Mild to moderate at the moment but I see the deterioration. This poem makes me feel so sad.

Do not ask me to remember,

Don’t try to make me understand,

Let me rest and know you’re with me,

Kiss my cheek and hold my hand.

I’m confused beyond your concept,

I am sad and sick and lost.

All I know is that I need you

To be with me at all cost.

Do not lose your patience with me,

Do not scold or curse or cry.

I can’t help the way I’m acting,

Can’t be different though I try.

Just remember that I need you,

That the best of me is gone,

Please don’t fail to stand beside me,

Love me ’til my life is done.

– Owen Darnell
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 06:22 PM

It's not a subject I can easily talk about.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top