Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2018, 04:27 PM

It's So Unfair That....

In this supposedly equal rights for Woman era, it does seem unfair that women who have to have a break from work to care for their children or parents and don't have enough National Insurance contributions to have a full State Pension, are penalised.

I was just reading in the paper today, a Husband was complaining that his wife has worked full time all her life, apart from two forced breaks to care for her dying mother and then her father.
She now has a pension that is less due to National Insurance contributions, yet he himself had worked full time for 53 years. 18 years more than required to have a full pension upon retirement.
To gain a full pension, National Insurance contributions only have to be paid for 35 years.

His complaint was... why can't he transfer the extra 18 years NI contributions he paid, to his wife to ensure she could also get the full pension? Seems very unfair.

Is there anything that you think is so unfair?........
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2018, 05:32 PM

Re: It's So Unfair That....

SG I think that if the Retirement Pension is below the amount, then Pension credits can be claimed. I have not checked though.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2018, 05:40 PM

You can buy extra NI stamps to make up the difference.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2018, 05:41 PM

There are benefits to make up the difference though and occasionally they make more than a full pension. My neighbour gets £45 a month more in benefits than her husband gets in his full pension and hasn't worked a day in her life because she cared for their disabled son. They both look after him now they are retired.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2018, 06:00 PM

If you have children your stamp is paid by Home Responsibility Protection or something like that. Even if you leave the country it's paid for two years I think.
What I think is unfair is having to wait 5 years and seven months extra for my pension. I was expecting it at 60, they put it up without notifying us properly.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2018, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
SG I think that if the Retirement Pension is below the amount, then Pension credits can be claimed. I have not checked though.

Sweetie darlin', no she won't get Pension Credit, because the DWP will take into account her husband's Retirement Pension and there is the presumption that he will financially support his wife.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2018, 06:21 PM

I wish I could help you as I don’t know enough about your laws but it doesn’t sound fair.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2018, 07:30 PM

Hi

It is not fair, but any changes will have to be paid for.

Us Oldies have paid nowhere near enough for the State Pensions that we have,
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2018, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Sweetie darlin', no she won't get Pension Credit, because the DWP will take into account her husband's Retirement Pension and there is the presumption that he will financially support his wife.
Oh I never thought of that.
You are quite right of course.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2018, 09:00 PM

I think it is unfair, that some of us have worked hard all our lives, always having paid on time and scrimping and doing without to own our own house. Yet we are penalised!

On the other hand, some can squander their money, never work, never contribute, yet end up being given more by the state.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top