Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2013, 09:02 AM

Strange But True!

I'm quite a fan of trivia so I thought I'd post some strange but true facts and if you feel like commenting or adding your own - feel free to do so!

When glass breaks, the cracks move faster than 3,000 miles per hour. To photograph the event, a camera must shoot at a millionth of a second!

A lightning bolt generates temperatures five times hotter than those found at the sun's surface!

It takes glass one million years to decompose, which means it never wears out and can be recycled an infinite amount of times! (have always said we should go back to glass containers)

Almost half the newspapers in the world are published in the United States and Canada
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2013, 10:55 AM

Re: Strange But True!

Most lipstick contains fish scales

No piece of square dry paper can be folded more than 7 times in half

A 'jiffy' is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second

The only 15 letter word that can be spelled without repeating a letter is "uncopyrightable"

The world's termites outweigh the world's humans 10 to 1
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2013, 06:40 PM

A group of sloths is called a "bed". How cute & cozy!
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2013, 07:01 PM

It is cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey!

A saying that has been around for years, but a lot of folks really don't know the origin.

Well back years ago when we had sailing warships, cannon balls were stacked up by each cannon, into a pyramid shape, and sometimes when they had icy weather the ice would expand and the balls would fall, the plate they stood on was called a brass monkey.
Hence we had the saying that is still used to this day.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

03-06-2013, 09:34 PM

I didn't know that Wrinkly! Many thanks, I shall store that one away so I can appear all knowledgeable
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

03-06-2013, 09:40 PM

Pinocchio is Italian for "pine eye"

Cat urine glows under a black-light

A hippo can open its mouth wide enough to fit a 4 foot tall child inside

The Earth weighs around 6,600,000,000,000,000,000,000 tons (5,940 billion billion metric tons)

A cockroach can live several weeks with its head cut off - it dies from starvation! (I knew there was something not quite right about those things )
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2013, 08:08 PM

Is there really such a thing as a black light? My Dad used to tell a tale of aliens landing in a field where he was working, they got out of their spaceship in daylight and shone a black light! He was always pulling pranks so we didn't believe him! Could it have been right for once?
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

04-06-2013, 09:05 PM

I'd never heard of black light before so have looked it up and it was a bit disappointing:

Why Is a Black Light Called a "Black" Light?
Although black lights emit light, ultraviolet light is not visible to human eyes, so the light is 'black' as far as your eyes are concerned. A light that only gives off ultraviolet light would leave a room in apparent total darkness. Many black lights also emit some violet light. This allows you see that the light is on, which is helpful in avoiding over-exposure to ultraviolet light, which can damage your eyes and skin.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

04-06-2013, 09:09 PM

Every time you lick a stamp, you're consuming 1/10 of a calorie

The average person has over 1,460 dreams a year

It's against the law to pawn your dentures in Las Vegas

You're born with 300 bones, but when you get to be an adult, you only have 206
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2013, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey
The world's termites outweigh the world's humans 10 to 1
I wonder if that is a recent estimation or not? Where the heck are there so many termites?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top