Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 02:53 PM

Re: Has the internet made me lazy?

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Although I transferred all of my running logs to a computer around the late nineties, it wasn't until I retired in 2010 that I started visiting facebook, twitter and over fifties forums.
I was sixty now and although I still kept up with my hobby of running, following a heart attack I realised that my best running was behind me so it's been an easy choice to opt for the more sedentary lifestyle that being a member of an over fifties forum requires.

Long gone are the days of facebook and twitter (although I still have a twitter account) far too time consuming, even for a retiree. But I do like to spend time on this forum and I don't begrudge a single minute.....Good friends and good topics to discuss....

But I ask myself.....had the internet been around in my younger day, would I have had the adventures and done half the things that I've done thus far in my life? Or would I have spent more time doing what I do now?
So what about our young people?
Would the distraction that TV, computers and 24/7 music have had an effect on some of our greatest scientists and inventors....And more to the point; what effect will it have on the younger generations? Will they ever sit on their own in the silence of a laboratory solving the problems of the world or human race? Or will the distractions of the 21st century be too much for them to ignore and prevent rational thinking?

I ask myself the same questions OGF!
By the way l have just posted a similar thread in the tech
forum!

Regards Donkeyman!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Don't know about making me lazy but it's made me realise I have an addictive nature! The times I ve told myself i.m gonna stay off OFF and Facebook the bliddy addiction kicks in
Me too. I do not have internet capable things when I go away however, because most of the time I use my home PC, with the big tower & it isn't portable. Though my Daughter does. She'll take her i phone & her i pad. Handy sometimes, but not for me.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 05:03 PM

I long for the day when everyone sends greetings cards by e-mail. We send most of ours that way these days, so much more environmental. Besides which, it has always been me who has had to write the cards, which is a bore, and getting harder as I have arthritic fingers.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
I ask myself the same questions OGF!
By the way l have just posted a similar thread in the tech
forum!

Regards Donkeyman!
Yes, a similarity there.

From what I see, the next generation down from me and the one after do use their phones and computers a lot. No doubt there are those younger people who don't do much else with life but I think they are outweighed by those who do a great deal with theirs.

I've been to quite a few graduation ceremonies in recent years and can say that Universities are stuffed full of young lively aspiring people. Sure, they use their phones and social media but they also do a lot else.

Our large family could be used as an example ..children and grandchildren. All on their phones and Facebook etc. but nearly all of them are high achievers in their various fields and activities.

If the Internet had been around in your younger days OGF, I'm quite certain you would have been the same.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I am sure it’s made my bottom bigger!
That is possible, is it Butt Ugly.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I long for the day when everyone sends greetings cards by e-mail. We send most of ours that way these days, so much more environmental. Besides which, it has always been me who has had to write the cards, which is a bore, and getting harder as I have arthritic fingers.
But you can't display them that way, on the mantle or where ever you put them, unless you print them out which defeats the object of saving paper. I love getting B/D cards I can display.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
But you can't display them that way, on the mantle or where ever you put them, unless you print them out which defeats the object of saving paper. I love getting B/D cards I can display.
Same here Tiff, I prefer to receive cards too...
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
So what about our young people? Would the distraction that TV, computers and 24/7 music have had an effect on some of our greatest scientists and inventors....And more to the point; what effect will it have on the younger generations? Will they ever sit on their own in the silence of a laboratory solving the problems of the world or human race? Or will the distractions of the 21st century be too much for them to ignore and prevent rational thinking?
A lot of young teens are being purposely made dependent in today's society. Technology is an enabler. Smart phones get them hooked into contracts and further payments for apps and services. More subscriptions for Netflix, Amazon Prime and the like. Their "life" abilities are let's say, lacking as a result.

There will however always be those who get elevated into important positions. They are monitored from early age and handpicked, groomed into the various secret societies where they are indoctrinated and swayed through status, position, money and privilege. So it has been for many years.

Science and technology belongs to the elite who have all the power and money and control governments, banks and institutions such as the health industry.

Overall the populous is just becoming more and more dependent and ignorant and thus easily controlable.
It's not a good world for the young imho. They will be kept working till they drop. . . . except for the privileged of course.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2019, 10:34 AM

For what it’s worth, I love to receive Birthday and Christmas cards and would never resort to those tacky online cards.....

There is nothing wrong with your bottom Arty.... It’s all in your mind...

We are still in a transitional period Mart, where many of our children can still remember what it was like to sit and read a book, or what life was like when only the rich had bank accounts, and communication was done face to face or via a landline. But with each generation these things will be consigned to history as the world adjusts to the digital age.

Everyone must be computer literate and have the means to access the internet, some older people refuse or find it too complicated but their kids won’t and as the last generation dies out it will be considered the norm and a given that you possess the means to access the web. Already you are at a disadvantage if you can’t do things online, and it will only get worse.

But with so much input available from the internet and the media when will we have time to sit and think? Time to be creative, when your social life knows no bounds and follows you to every corner of your life. How many times do we hear about our young people visiting us with their head in cyberspace as they fiddle with their phones. We make jokes about it now....But for the next generation this will be normal, and I'm hooked as well!
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2019, 04:44 PM

Lazier in that there is no journey to the library necessary to answer questions I did not know the answers to. However, now with the internet easily to hand it's so easy to find out more that I am sure I have become more knowledgeable.

Some who know me might not agree with that! For me though that's a positive I believe the internet has provided.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top