Join for free
Page 15 of 190 « First < 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 65 115 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2015, 11:29 AM

Re: Bob's Bits.

Entry:-100315
Although it was daylight when I tipped out on to the street at 6:50 the moon was still clearly visible; in fact, the rising sun had illuminated it brighter than usual and I stood for a while admiring the spectacle. Coming back to reality, I set off at a jog, and suddenly realised, how cold it was. Running was not fluid, more like bounding along, unbalanced, with arms and legs flailing, I decided to take it easy this morning and not push. The stiffness of the night had dissipated as I crossed the field and ran through the wood, with the dawn chorus for company. I was running freely now, although my Quads felt tired; probably not recovered from Sunday's effort. As I get older I find small changes in running habits have bigger consequences than they used to, and it takes a lot longer to recover. By the time I reached the Cul-de-Sac most of the muscles in my legs were complaining, I made the phone call and dug in for the last mile and a half. The last half mile was such a struggle, and I abandoned all hope of putting in a sprint finish. I entered the drive and stopped the watch expecting to see an embarrassing row of numbers....49.51.....third fastest time on that course this year......The tower is stronger than I thought....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2015, 11:37 AM

Thanks FF, I feel comfy here and it's nice to see all the old faces [excuse the 'old']
Perhaps when people look in, it might inspire them to take up running like yourself.
Freshfields
Ayrshire, Scotland
Freshfields is female  Freshfields has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2015, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Thanks FF, I feel comfy here and it's nice to see all the old faces [excuse the 'old']
Perhaps when people look in, it might inspire them to take up running like yourself.
Not excused for the 'old' bit I'm not really into exercise other than the daily grind, which is beginning to grind to a halt now. I did a lot of DIY and thought nothing of fairly heavy gardening, like digging up shrubs and small trees, re-felting the garage or hut. I did get a buzz from the sense of achievement if I did do something on my own but I don't have the strength or energy for that now and have to depend on getting help when I can. My walker friend, is older than I am, walks for miles and can't settle for long before she's off again. Added to that she loves dancing so between line dancing and jazz clubs no wonder I think she's metamorphed from a whippet.
PennyW
Chester
PennyW is female  PennyW has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2015, 05:44 PM

I used to do quite a bit of walking but somehow seemed to lose my puff, probably something to do with being put onto statins, but I try to get to the gym 3 or 4 times a week and put in a walk perhaps to town during the week. I think it is definitely a case of use it or lose it...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

11-03-2015, 06:13 PM

Don't get me started on Statins Penny.
Following my recent Heart Attack [last April] they put me on 80 mg of Atorvastatin, after a couple of days I was kept awake in the night with serious acid reflux, I immediately ceased taking them and the problem did not return. I have not taken them since. Something to do with the action of a statin on the production of bile in the gall bladder; Bile is used by the body to process the fat we eat. After reading several articles reffering to Cholesterol and Statins, it seems that a: The link between cholesterol and heart disease is a tenuous one to say the least, and any kind of physical activity requires Cholesterol in the rebuilding and manufacture of new cells.
b: Overall Cholesterol levels tell you nothing about the ratio between good and bad Cholesterol, so are worthless on their own.
and c: After conducting a poll of friends, family members and contributors of some over fifties forums, I have found that there are some people with readings of 12 and over, who have never suffered Heart Attacks or strokes, and some [like me] who have a reading of less than 5 and have.
Apparently all Doctors get paid for the amount of people they put on statins... I heard this from a Paramedic recently. Whether thats true or not; perhaps someone can corroborate that fact.
Also: following a Heart Attack, patients have been found to have high levels of Cholesterol, this could be due to the fact that after a HA there has been large amounts of cell destruction, so the body steps up production of Cholesterol to try and repair the damage.
I am not a Doctor, and the decision to take or not take statins should be taken very seriously. After a couple of years of research, I have decided not to take a statin. But the responsibility lies with the individual.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2015, 10:37 PM

OGF and Penny, I've been on statins for a few years now and didn't think I had any side effects, however, like Penny I soon get out of breath so maybe they are to blame for that.

I don't always comment but I do enjoy reading your blogs OGF.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2015, 09:11 AM

Morning all

I was on statins, then in my infinite wisdom decided to stop taking them. Yes Robert, it's the luck of the draw with heart attacks in some cases. I think some people's cholesterol levels are naturally low/high.

FF I laughed reading about your friend metamorphosing from a whippet

Have a nice day all. You out running today Robert?
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2015, 09:36 AM

Good morning it's a bit overcast and dull here but not bad for March.
Rob you're proving inspirational to us ladies I think. Seriously it's the way you've got back into running so well following major health scares that is inspirational. It would be great if everyone took responsibility for their health that way.
Unfortunately too many have an unhealthy lifestyle and rely on the NHS to get them out of trouble.
Having said that as Rob said nobody should take the decision to come off a medication lightly, and without telling their doctor first that they intend to do so. It's a personal decision but if you are being treated by a doctor they need to know as it will alter what other medication you take and are prescribed in future.
Have a good Thursday all.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

12-03-2015, 09:39 AM

Just got back from my Thursday five Myra, an exciting run, and the second fastest over that course this year; '49:31' I was trying to take it steady.. Maybe we should learn something from that. [Patience will be rewarded]
Comments are not compulsory Val,Sometimes, it's only when I'm not here that I realise how many friends I have.
Concerning the statins Val, I didn't associate them with shortness of breath, the usual side effects are joint and muscle pain; which I have to be honest, never got. Perhaps I didn't take them for long enough. An article I read, said that the muscle damage would be permanent, so I won't take the risk.

Have a super day everyone......let Thursday begin.....
Wise words Anita, nice to see you...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

12-03-2015, 12:15 PM

The Fool
After catching up with the news and views on the internet this morning, I retreated to the shower, [one of the best bits of a five mile run] and as I bobbed about in the bubbles I got to thinking about Myra’s post [I do my best thinking in the shower, no distractions, and just the embrace of the hot water restoring what the run took out. It’s a sort of ‘Personal think tank’] The part where she said ‘It’s the luck of the draw’ concerning Cholesterol levels and Heart Disease. And it got me thinking, do we have the power to change our destiny? Is it indeed ‘the luck of the draw?’ or can we influence the future? I am only experienced to speak for the choices in life that I have made, and now at sixty four, I can observe the outcome of some of those choices.
I was a fool! The same as most young people from my generation, when we decided it would be cool to smoke. It started by being part of the ‘In Crowd’ and after a while, the body craved the stimulating effect that smoking delivers: That’s how our bodies work; Take riding a bike for example, do it often enough and the body learns to balance and ride, it’s something that you will never forget once learned. Same as Swimming, Driving, Playing a piano; the list is endless, remember the old saying ‘Practice Makes Perfect’ do it often enough and the brain says ‘I’ll make an App for that’ and it will be written in stone and very difficult to erase. Most of our generation have an app for the times table, learnt when we were young [the best time to make apps] and I could still do a good job of reciting it now. But ‘Apps’ have a downside too, and smoking is just one example of this. Fortunately, a Heart Attack in 2004 destroyed my smoking App, and I have remained smoke free ever since.
The reason I had a Heart Attack was the build up of Plaques in a couple of arteries. I believe these plaques are not formed overnight, it’s taken sixty four years to get to this stage, and I also believe that smoking was the main contributor: Other than smoking, I have led a fairly healthy life style. Plenty of exercise, I don’t like eating fatty things, and although as a young man I drank alcohol, I never did like the taste, so I drink very little now. If I do have a dietry weakness it would be from a sweet tooth and the rather generous application of sugar on breakfast cerials.
So ‘FOOL’ should be engraved on my tombstone for taking up smoking, but I hope it will be a while yet before I require the services of a stonemason, and I think that my running App might just help.

Page 15 of 190 « First < 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 65 115 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top