Join for free
Page 17 of 190 « First < 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 67 117 > Last »
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2015, 05:54 PM

Re: Bob's Bits.

Originally Posted by Anzac ->
Just logged in and the first thing I saw was the legs of Mr Fox!! Phew!

My gran always used to say ignorance is bliss! With regard to things like inherited genes I inclined to agree! I also tend to think that stress is a factor in lots of ailments so trying not to worry too much about any of it is really important.
Anzac, I think you are so right. Stress causes so much ill health. That's when a bit of exercise does help as it destresses you IMO.
PennyW
Chester
PennyW is female  PennyW has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2015, 06:26 PM

My high cholesterol is an inherited condition apparently, there is no other reason, I do all the right things, never smoked (a rarity in 60s and 70s!) have been on a low fat diet for ever etc etc. neither of my parents had heart problems as far as I know, and my children have been tested and are ok, but I just didn't want to take the risk. Apart from being short of puff I haven't had any other side effects, no muscle aches etc, and the pufflessness might not be caused by that.
Very strangely though, I had my annual blood test in November, but yesterday I received a letter saying that my blood glucose was high (not yet diabetic) and they want me to attend some thing at the hospital. Sounds like a box ticking exercise to me, and I know taking statins does raise blood glucose readings, however, I'll give it a whirl.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2015, 10:20 PM

A smell of embrocation fills the air, running kit is ironed and carefully laid out ready for tomorrows early morning nine and a half mile adventure. I will go out and pull up some trees, and whack those three snarling hounds that worried me last week.

Penny, I have not heard that Statins make you short of breath, but I have heard that there is a link with diabetes. Both my Dad, and my FIL developed diabetes in their later years when it has never been seen in either family before. They had both taken Statins for many years. My Dad passed away in 2009 at the age of 87, my FIL is still going strong at 89, so who knows, perhaps they do extend life, but not without side effects.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2015, 09:33 AM

Morning all. Robert hope you have a great run. The weather is lovely here and hope it's the same where you are.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2015, 12:40 PM

Entry:-150315
Happy Mothers Day to all the Mothers out there….
Thanks Myra, this is how it went……warts and all.
I was greeted by overcast skies and a nagging icey cold wind from the East, as I quietly pulled the door closed and jogged down the drive. I hit the street and started the watch, careful not to set too fast a pace this week; although a good time, last weeks pace was too fast and it defeats the object of LSD [long SLOW distance]. So I positively dawdled down through the village. There is a main road that connects our village with the next one, it’s very busy most of the time, and I could see some signs warning of a diversion, as I approached I realised that it would be the quiet country road where I run, that would now carry all the traffic.
As I left the level crossing behind and struck out onto the long straight country road, running felt so natural and flowing, the pace was good, and being out this early meant that only the odd extra vehicle squeezed by. It won’t be this quiet on my return journey. I had soon reached the turn that took me off the diversion and on to the canal bank. The only traffic here was a narrow boat tied up to the mooring. Wisps of smoke spiralled out of the chimney, and as I ran past I caught a whiff, not unpleasant, and I recognised the smell of burning wood. Memories came flooding back; I had smelt that smell before, as a boy me and my best friend Bill would regularly take expeditions out into the country, our favourite haunt would be an disused Sand Quarry a couple of miles away from the nearest farm. With a good view of the surrounding countryside, it was almost impossible to approach un-detected, and we would re-enact the Second World War, using any materials that were at hand. We would also light a small fire, and with potatoes raided from a nearby field, would cast them into the ashes to cook. After a while we would recover the black charcoal covered spuds and break them open to reveal the soft white mash inside, you never forget that wonderful taste, or the smell of burning wood in your nostrils.
I came back to earth as I reached the gate at the end of the canal section and popped out on to the road. The benefits of an easterly wind now became clear, as I turned for home it would be at my back, unlike last weeks westerly. I was in the groove now and enjoying every minute, shoes tapped out a rhythm, and I could hear the riveting of a distant woodpecker, spring was indeed just around the corner, and I could sense the energy as green shoots appeared on the verges and hedgerows. One worrying thought did spring to mind though; I was fast approaching the place where I had encountered the three dogs last week, and I wondered if I would have to resort to some aggressive moves this week.
I had no need to worry, I could see some horse riders assembling in the farmyard, and the muts were nowhere to be seen. I smoothly ran past, but still checked behind to make sure.
The road with the diversion on was busy as I rounded the corner for the mile or so it would take me to reach safety. It must be sods law that on a narrow country road cars come in both directions at the same time, making it difficult for them to pass; and even more difficult to squeeze a runner through without him having to take a detour up onto the verge. [Not always possible or recommended] But, I managed to reach the safety of the village intact, and even managed to put on some style as I ran passed some residents. I arrived home feeling happy and refreshed, and could have gone further, but this is how it’s supposed to be, this is what keeps me coming back for more.
The run was two minutes slower than last week, but the satisfaction was immense and worth it. My cup runneth over!
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

15-03-2015, 12:56 PM

You so enjoyed that run Robert. Yes, you must feel great after it. Glad the dogs weren't out When we've been on rambles it's the cows I'm not sure of. Although they haven't bothered us so far. I'm looking forward to our walk next Saturday, The Water of Leith walkway, Murray field to Balerno. 9 miles. Haven't done that walk before. Enjoy the rest of your day Robert
PennyW
Chester
PennyW is female  PennyW has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2015, 06:51 PM

That sounded a great run, OGF. Myra, we lived in Edinburgh in a converted granary building overlooking the Waters of Leith in the mid 1980s, but it was until 2008 that I did the walk from there to Leith itself. Unfortunately one tunnel was blocked so there was a rather rambling diversion that added time to the walk. I rather think you are walking in the other direction though! Enjoy.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

15-03-2015, 07:02 PM

How interesting Penny! I haven't been in that area before, so I'm really looking forward to it. Someone else is leading the walk, so they'll have done a recce beforehand - thank goodness! I just have a feeling that it will be a lovely walk.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2015, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by PennyW ->
My high cholesterol is an inherited condition apparently, there is no other reason, I do all the right things, never smoked (a rarity in 60s and 70s!) have been on a low fat diet for ever etc etc. neither of my parents had heart problems as far as I know, and my children have been tested and are ok, but I just didn't want to take the risk. Apart from being short of puff I haven't had any other side effects, no muscle aches etc, and the pufflessness might not be caused by that.
Very strangely though, I had my annual blood test in November, but yesterday I received a letter saying that my blood glucose was high (not yet diabetic) and they want me to attend some thing at the hospital. Sounds like a box ticking exercise to me, and I know taking statins does raise blood glucose readings, however, I'll give it a whirl.
Penny, I could have written most of that about myself and I have to go see the nurse tomorrow cos my annual blood test showed my glucose was high too. We'll have to swap notes!!
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2015, 11:05 PM

A great account of today's run OGF. You cooking the potatoes on an outdoor fire reminded me so much of the hike we used to do with the Guides. We had to take two younger Guides on a hike and cook them lunch on a fire, using kindling and twigs picked up in the woods. The meal would be well blackened but we were so hungry it would all get eaten without complaint. How I loved those hikes.

Page 17 of 190 « First < 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 67 117 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top