Join for free
Page 22 of 190 « First < 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 72 122 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2015, 12:08 PM

Re: Bob's Bits.

Entry:-290315
An overcast sky and the possibility of rain worried me as ran through the village dressed in nothing but running shorts and tee shirt. I had selected my GPS for this mornings run, because over the last few days I had the sneaking feeling that I would try something special. The GPS would provide an accurate measurement of not only the distance run, but individual mile times, maximum and average speeds and calories burnt. With no diversions of traffic this week, I hardly saw any vehicles at all while doing the two mile road section.
I was soon in the peaceful environment of the canal bank, feeling good, and with no sign of rain yet, I slipped through the gate and back on to the road past Sandra's house.
As I jogged over the river bridge and approached the T junction; where the left turn would take me back along my usual route, without hesitation I ran straight on to a little village called 'Fishlake'. Taking the left turn in the village down a road called 'Dirty Lane' it brought back memories of Marathon training back in the 80's and 90's, this would be the route of a regular 20 mile Sunday run, but not today; a right turn would meander it's way around twenty miles of quiet country lanes, but a left turn should only add up to around Ten. I left the village, and after a bend, there was nothing but three miles of long straight road. It could be intimidating for the new runner, but for me I relished the peace and the way you could switch off any feeling of exertion and let you mind wonder where it will with no distraction: A rare feeling these days with information coming at you from all forms of media. A smile crept onto my face as I once again joined a well run part of the course, and a realization of the two miles left to run. There was no pain, no discomfort and no heavy breathing, I was in cruise control, and pace judgement was perfect. I arrived home to discover the route had been ten and a half miles, the furthest distance I have run since my HA, and a 'Landmark Run' One small step for Mankind, but a giant leap for me....
Looking back at my records, I can see that I would regularly run ten miles in 1:05 without breaking sweat, todays run was completed in 1 hour 44 minutes.....What happened? How can ageing have such a drastic effect? I don't mourn the loss though, I'm just thankful I can still do it, but more than that.... Still enjoy it.
And if you've got to here, thanks for your interest.

As I sit here writing this account, rain lashes against the window: Somebody was smiling on me today....
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2015, 03:21 PM

Good pics and great accounts of your walks yet again Robert. Well done!

I'm just home from a wonderful weekend in Braemar. Had nice walks and the views were spectacular. The weather was very kind to us.

I have to say it's salt in my porridge too FF. I do like salt on certain things, but I don't think I overdo it.

Val, sorry to hear of your diagnosis. We take our diets for granted until we find out our bodies don't like something we are doing.
PennyW
Chester
PennyW is female  PennyW has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2015, 03:29 PM

you are obviously doing something right OGF! Regarding porridge I had some when last in Edinburgh served with blueberry compote which was delicious. I have bought some Wild Blueberry Conserve which I use but I think it is too sugary, more like jam. I suppose I should cook down some blueberries and keep it for putting on the porridge, but haven't so far. With Spring and summer not so far away I will be switching to Muesli with yogurt and blueberries for breakfast... unless I am told otherwise at my diabetic workshop thing in a couple of weeks...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2015, 10:20 PM

Scotland, the best place in the world to be when the weather is good Myra, If I lived nearer I would be a regular visitor.

Your porridge sounds delicious Penny, I need to get a bit more adventurous with my toppings. Running's going well thanks Penny, felt good this morning and went further, but wife threatens to leave me if I keep pushing up the mileage. I guess she's just worried...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

31-03-2015, 05:02 PM

While out running on Sunday I was dismayed to find that 'Fly Tipping' has once again returned to the pretty country roads around Doncaster. Who could spoil their neighbourhood with this sort of behavior?

Freshfields
Ayrshire, Scotland
Freshfields is female  Freshfields has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2015, 05:10 PM

Happens all over OGF, people who have not been brought up for any respect for anything. It doesn't cost us anything to take stuff like that to the local depot but if we want it uplifted it will cost £35. If they took it as far as the countryside, surely their is a depot near enough for them to take it there.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

31-03-2015, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Freshfields ->
Happens all over OGF, people who have not been brought up for any respect for anything. It doesn't cost us anything to take stuff like that to the local depot but if we want it uplifted it will cost £35. If they took it as far as the countryside, surely their is a depot near enough for them to take it there.
There is FF, not three miles away.
It strikes me that it might have been a commercial tipping, because they won't allow vans with a company name on the side to tip at the council dump without paying a fee.
When I was a courier, I had a plain white van [some customers insisted on it] and I could send off for a pass to allow me to visit the dump site free of charge.
I come across all sorts of things dumped at the side of the road while out running, fridges, tv's, rolls of carpet and marijuana plants....dead, of course.
Freshfields
Ayrshire, Scotland
Freshfields is female  Freshfields has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2015, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
..... and marijuana plants....dead, of course.
Ever thought that's how you might be building up speed
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2015, 05:32 PM

Oh dear, fly tipping at it's worst Robert. How can people do that? If they've taken it so far can they not just carry on to the nearest recycling tip? Beggars belief.

Hope you've had some more nice runs. The weather here has been very temperamental. The sun's out one minute, then it's sleet, then it's sunny, then it's raining!
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2015, 05:59 PM

FF, I'm trying to gradually cut down my sugar in drinks like you suggested. I haven't reached the point when I don't like the sweet ones yet but I'll keep going!!

Penny, I'll be interested to hear what they tell you at your diabetes workshop, I'm struggling to keep my carbs down without feeling hungry. I have a one-to-one hour long appointment with a health trainer next week so hope to ask lots of questions and maybe get some new ideas on low carb meals.

Myra, I never really needed to worry about my diet until the last few years, but I felt I had a healthy diet with lots of fruit and veg. I was shocked to find that food like fruit that I thought was healthy is full of sugar and therefore best avoided or at least cut down !!

OGF, I've enjoyed reading your running blogs. I can understand your wife being worried, I worry about my daughter who's a runner. She's no longer satisfied with marathons and the more she achieves the more she wants to go onto the next stage. I don't know where you runners get the energy!!

Page 22 of 190 « First < 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 72 122 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top